MLV PLAY (mlv_play.mo)

Started by a1ex, October 28, 2013, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

g3gg0,

I still experience some strangeness on 7D with mlv play, sometimes the camera will beep and then I can't look at any clips other than the one I am currently viewing, and I cannot delete the file I am stuck on. The only way to restore normal operation is to delete that file from the card in computer. Once the offending file is gone, MLV play works again. I'm still trying to nail down the steps that lead up to this....

it definitely happens more often when I'm using hdmi monitor in 1080i, vs. 480p mode. Performance is better in general with 480p HDMI.

a1ex

Do you still experience the issue after today's fixes?

MA Visuals

Just downloaded today's nightly.  I can no longer delete clips via mlv_play when using raw_rec.  I tried initiating deletion from the trash can button as well as from the mlv_play popup.   No errors or indications that the deletions are not actually happening.  I did try various common frame rates with and without hdmi monitor plugged in.  I can delete from the file manager however or from mlv_play while using mlv_rec.   So the problem seems to only be when using raw_rec.

a1ex

It never worked, from what I can tell. Will fix.

kontrakatze

I found another issue regarding mlv_play in conjunction with the follow focus option.
If mlv_play is loaded, recording started, the starting point for the follow focus saved and the second  focus point set, pressing the play button to play the focus sequence in the first time leads to no reaction, a second press on the button crashes my camera. After taking out the battery ml starts again with all settings reset. I repeated this several times on my 5d mark III 1.2.3
It appears as if mlv_play tries to play back a file while recording.

Regards,
kontrakatze

kontrakatze

Sorry, just read that this problem is solved...

Regards,
Kontrakatze

MA Visuals

Quote from: a1ex on July 16, 2014, 08:16:02 AM
It never worked, from what I can tell. Will fix.

I never noticed since I was using mlv_rec for a while but just recently switched back to raw_rec for 30fps shooting due to the better performance of raw_rec.   I know that overlays are being collected/analyzed for a potential solution to the HDMI issue, but mlv_play also has another display issue that seems unrelated to the the overlay alignment issue.  When playing back a clip while using an HDMI monitor, initially it always displays "No Image".  The only way to view the last clip is to first navigate to the previous clip using the top dial, and then back again to the last clip (this clears the message).  You can see it here... http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9062.msg88894#msg88894.   At that time,  I was only reporting the overlay issue but now I realize that the "No Image" issue seems to be independent of the misaligned overlay issue.   One thing that happens a lot is when you have recorded your first clip and want to review it, you can't because there is no other clip to navigate to to clear the message.  So you then need to record a 2nd clip just to have something to switch to.  Not the end of the world but just wanted to mention it to separate it from the other overlay issues.

By the way, as a few other forum members have pointed out, switching on Force HDMI-VGA does indeed help with alignment of the main video display in playback mode.  But ml overlays are made worse so it's a bit of a tradeoff.  In case it helps anyone who is using the 5D3 and SmallHD DP-4 monitor (it may be applicable to the DP6 as well), what I do is create 2 custom scale presets on my DP4... 1 for recording and 1 for playback.  With Force HDMI-VGA selected in ML, none of the built-in DP4 monitor presets work well, so you will need to go into custom scale settings and tweak to get full screen video.   I have opted to tweak the scale settings to view playback completely full screen, but this will push the ML overlays completely off screen.  The main video display takes precedence for me.  Hope that helps some of you.

MA Visuals

Downloaded the new nightly and can confirm that the delete from mlv_play works when using in raw_rec.  Thank you!

MA Visuals

Also, Exact/All toggle of mlv_play doesn't yet work with raw_rec.  Currently, it is displays only All frames.  I toggle that feature all the time to be able to check the speed of my camera movement in realtime vs checking the quality of the shot.

dpjpandone

Much more stable so far, I will put it through it's paces this weekend.

MA Visuals

Quote from: MA Visuals on July 17, 2014, 01:08:57 AM
Also, Exact/All toggle of mlv_play doesn't yet work with raw_rec.  Currently, it is displays only All frames.  I toggle that feature all the time to be able to check the speed of my camera movement in realtime vs checking the quality of the shot.

This was fixed in the recent nightly.  Works great.  Also, overall stability of mlv_play is much improved.  Thank you.

Not that it bothers me, but I was just curious about the need for color/fast toggle.  Seems like this was originally put in place to deal with the slower playback of raw files.  But with Exact/All toggle working so well (and in color), I can't see why anyone would ever need the color/fast option now.   Removing it would simplify the menu a bit and free up space in case it's needed down the road.

dpjpandone

I disagree with the above. Greyscale shows more fluid motion (does not skip frames like "exact" does) if you are reviewing a long take with lots of fast moving objects moving through the frame it is very useful. Please do not remove this feature.

MA Visuals

It's not really an issue leaving it in place... especially if people find it useful.

motionSOUL

Thanks for all the hard work. The MLV Player addition is great for ML workflow!
Would it be possible  to add a loop function? I find difficult to play a particular clip again and again to check if all is OK.
You have to go to the one before, then go back to play it again. If several clips are almost the same, you are lost in no time.
The loop function could be automatically set to loop at the end of one clip or perhaps a loop button to restart the clip each time you press it?

If there is a simple way to do that please tell me I've missed something?

Regards,

S.

Jakobmen

Quote from: dpjpandone on August 09, 2014, 01:57:09 AM
I disagree with the above. Greyscale shows more fluid motion (does not skip frames like "exact" does) if you are reviewing a long take with lots of fast moving objects moving through the frame it is very useful. Please do not remove this feature.

agree
Canon 5D3

ayshih

Quote from: motionSOUL on August 25, 2014, 05:23:07 PM
The loop function could be automatically set to loop at the end of one clip or perhaps a loop button to restart the clip each time you press it?
I've wanted this too!  I've just implemented this functionality – replay a video by selecting "|>" after it finishes – on my mlv_play pull request, which is up for review.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

ayshih

This module just got a bunch of improvements, and they're in tonight's nightly builds.  See the text of the now-merged pull request for details.  Enjoy!

For fans of "exact" playback, there's a performance boost when playing back long MLV videos.  However, to achieve this boost, the index files (*.IDX) that are generated by mlv_play now have additional information embedded in them.  The consequence is that IDX files created prior to tonight's update will actually inhibit "exact" playback from working properly because the module isn't told which frames are okay to drop.  The remedy: simply delete any existing IDX files and let the module re-create them.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

kontrakatze

Quite old this discussion, but anyway. I hope I'm in the right place:

On 5d Mark III 1.1.3 latest nightly:

Today I received my new cf card and did an unattended test, I recorded for 10min at 1920*1080@25p with audio (but mic was off) to check the stability of the card. Recording went completely normal, files are ok, playback via MlRawViewer completely normal.

Playback on camera with mlv_play failed while indexing. 10 out of 13 files seem to get indexed, than an error occured repeatedly: Index error
mlv_play can be exited normally, there is no index file on the cf.
I can't say if it stops always on the same file, but always with the same error message.
It says 10 out of 10, but there are 13.
I already reported a bug on bitbucket, but thought it might be of interest here, too.

Regards,
kontrakatze

Walter Schulz

Try this workaround:
Use ExFAT file system and enable -> Movie tab -> RAW video (MLV) -> Files > 4 GiB (exFAT)

g3gg0 will address this bug for sure. I think it has been around for about 12 months. Before that date MLV recording in non-ExFAT mode was restricted to 10 chunks (around 40 GB).

kontrakatze

What happens if after changing format to exFAT I format the cf in camera, will it be changed to FAT32 again?

Walter Schulz

Unfortunately 5D3 will convert your card's file system to FAT32. Confirmed for card's up to 128 GB. Not tested with bigger ones.

kontrakatze

Too bad, but on sd-cards format stays exFAT (just tested for 128gb sd). Interesting, but still not helpful.

a1ex

Looks like mlv_play tries to open all the chunks at the same time, but DryOS can't handle that many files opened at the same time. I guess it was implemented that way to handle file spanning (that means, one frame from one chunk, next frame from some other chunk), and it was easiest to code that way.

The simplest fix would be to have a single file handle, and open each chunk when needed.

For spanning files, in the worst case scenario, this would do open/seek/close operations for every single frame, which might be slow. In this case, allowing one file handle per drive (two open files at a time) should work just fine.

I wasn't aware of the issue (doesn't seem to have been reported before), and probably g3gg0 wasn't either.

g3gg0

right, was not aware of that this might happen. just knew about the 10-handle-limit.
never really tried to play back that huge files.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: Danne on December 19, 2016, 01:59:55 PM
Any thoughts on mlv_play buttons? They seem vanished into oblivion once raw_twk starts running?

if you zoom in, buttons should disappear.
did you mean that?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!