MLV PLAY (mlv_play.mo)

Started by a1ex, October 28, 2013, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anandkamal

hi updated the latest build and the playback is now approximately 10 frames/second, low saturation look. I think its better now. I wish this is how it will be or am I to turn on something to get real time playback? Also, how should I play files from file manager? thanks

ted ramasola

When you have navigated to the file you want to play using file manager, what options do you see?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

anandkamal

in 5d3, under Debug, i see File Manager > A:/ > DCIM > 100EOS5D > there is file (xxx.mlv) and mlv_rec.tmp. When i hit play, a green dot selects the file and when i press SET, there is a list of options under FILE MANAGER: copy, move, delete, clear selection, select *.mlv............ yeah and without the green dot selection, i get "view" after pressing SET. This playback is similar to what i get when i hit the play button directly after shooting the file. Approx. 10 frames per second.. am i right? thanks

ted ramasola

yes. use the "view" to playback. I'm not sure if its the same with 5d3 but on 5d2, when playback is starting, I can press the trash bin button to show more options for playback. fast or color, exit, and delete etc.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

anandkamal

5d3 has no such options like fast and color..

tonybeccar

Will it be possible someday realtime playback? (In some watchable quality)

g3gg0

with the latest commit, i added a feature to play back with real speed BY DROPPING FRAMES (if cpu is too slow)
or by waiting (if video resolution is small).

should work on 600D, 7D and 5D3, others will follow.

can you test it a bit?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

tonybeccar

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 04, 2014, 08:32:15 AM
with the latest commit, i added a feature to play back with real speed BY DROPPING FRAMES (if cpu is too slow)
or by waiting (if video resolution is small).

should work on 600D, 7D and 5D3, others will follow.

can you test it a bit?

OMG, will try it as soon as it is on TL!!! AMAZING! :D

EDIT: Still isnt on the official nightlies also, will wait for it and test it on my 7D! Thanks!!

tonybeccar

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 04, 2014, 08:32:15 AM
can you test it a bit?

I am testing right now. I gotta say it's a great improvement! It looks a lot faster even though it drops frames on the 7D.

Couple of things:

- Couldnt tell the difference between "all" and "exact"
- If the preview is Fast, the playback goes WAY faster and exceeds the set framerate (that's very good! :D)
- One problem that bugged me forever with mlv_play is that it starts playing and it doesnt reproduce the frames in order. For example first it plays from frame 0 to 300. Then it jumps back to frame 50 and continues to 600. Then it comes back to 300 and goes to 500. And so on... values are referencial of course. I understand that the camera records frames out of order, that's why the .idx is there for. This is on the 7D, I never said anything cause I thought it was normal, is it? Because, with the improvements that you just made, and playing frames in order, it's a gamechanger, really.
- Sound, you mentioned you were working on a new soundsystem? Well that would be amazing.
- As noted, on the 7D I dont have realtime playback on full color, but it's usable.
- Another thing, the color playback. I noticed it has something like a "rolling shutter". The frames do not seem to refresh fully but they go refreshing line by line and it's slow. And that causes rolling shutter in the playback, it's a bit distracting.
- If I have only one clip on the card, the << button does not bring me to its beggining.
- On HDMI, the playback GUI is completely messed up!

I hope I could be of some use but I'm sure you know most of this things. Gonna test it out more now.
Let me know if you need anything please!

Thank you!

EDIT:
All and Exact is doing what's supposed to be doing now. :S
And I just tested with lower resolutions and I'm getting realtime playback on Fast. :)
With full res in Fast i think it's realtime or almost realtime.

MonteNero

Quote from: tonybeccar on May 06, 2014, 10:41:42 AM
I am testing right now. I gotta say it's a great improvement! It looks a lot faster even though it drops frames on the 7D.

Couple of things:

- Couldnt tell the difference between "all" and "exact"
- If the preview is Fast, the playback goes WAY faster and exceeds the set framerate (that's very good! :D)
- One problem that bugged me forever with mlv_play is that it starts playing and it doesnt reproduce the frames in order. For example first it plays from frame 0 to 300. Then it jumps back to frame 50 and continues to 600. Then it comes back to 300 and goes to 500. And so on... values are referencial of course. I understand that the camera records frames out of order, that's why the .idx is there for. This is on the 7D, I never said anything cause I thought it was normal, is it? Because, with the improvements that you just made, and playing frames in order, it's a gamechanger, really.
- Sound, you mentioned you were working on a new soundsystem? Well that would be amazing.
- As noted, on the 7D I dont have realtime playback on full color, but it's usable.
- Another thing, the color playback. I noticed it has something like a "rolling shutter". The frames do not seem to refresh fully but they go refreshing line by line and it's slow. And that causes rolling shutter in the playback, it's a bit distracting.
- If I have only one clip on the card, the << button does not bring me to its beggining.
- On HDMI, the playback GUI is completely messed up!

I hope I could be of some use but I'm sure you know most of this things. Gonna test it out more now.
Let me know if you need anything please!

Thank you!

EDIT:
All and Exact is doing what's supposed to be doing now. :S
And I just tested with lower resolutions and I'm getting realtime playback on Fast. :)
With full res in Fast i think it's realtime or almost realtime.
All the way back to january I was suggesting to make the drop frame playback, finally it is here! Bravo g3ggo!
The HDMI playback is the most important feature for a serious production and it is the most buggy and unstable ML feature so far.

tonybeccar

Quote from: MonteNero on May 06, 2014, 07:24:33 PM
All the way back to january I was suggesting to make the drop frame playback, finally it is here! Bravo g3ggo!
The HDMI playback is the most important feature for a serious production and it is the most buggy and unstable ML feature so far.

Yes I agree. Some weeks ago I posted all the listing of the interface bugs. You are right, if you are on a real production, you are using 1, 2 or even 3 monitors at once, and it is paramount that the functionality is ok.

I don't know if to make a feature request or something, because it should be a high priority! I also do not know the reason behind this, because maybe if the interface is rewritten a bit the screen "copy" could be natively ok in the monitor.... aanyway. I'm really happy about the drop frame playback.. and it is much faster too!

poromaa

The mlv_play module is gone in the nightlies for the 5D2? is this intentional?

a1ex

The latest mlv_play updates require some stubs for 5D2 and most other cameras. Until somebody sits down and finds them, the nightly build system will say this module will not load on your camera, so it will not bundle it in the zip.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/03bb4ef73a77a5bf4b4dbb05c8b473f789439bb2

MonteNero

Quote from: tonybeccar on May 06, 2014, 10:39:05 PM
I don't know if to make a feature request or something, because it should be a high priority!
You are damn right!

a1ex

You may have better chances if you find somebody with coding skills who actually uses HDMI monitors. I don't have any use for them, so for me it has a low priority.

I'll do take a look at some point, but I prefer to focus on stuff that I actually use.

g3gg0

same here, my current "implementation tasks":
- sound system: try to unify audio IC access for canon-configuration-finetuning, recording and playback
- mlv video: changes that improve experience (e.g. playback with sound)

concept work:
- understanding and checking generating color matrices
- understanding raw/yuv/jpeg paths (aim: playback raw in realtime by feeding EDMACs like in LV)

plus there are a lot of things that i started but not finished, like module unloading and some visual improvement.

but if someone sends me a small HDMI monitor, i can try to understand that RAW/YUV/BMP/HDMI positioning construct.
maybe i can fix your issues. although playback through EDMAC would make this task unnecessary
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

a1ex

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 07, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
- understanding raw/yuv/jpeg paths (aim: playback raw in realtime by feeding EDMACs like in LV)

This one would be a huge breakthrough. I'm also researching it, with the aim of full-resolution silent pictures and maybe MJPEG encoding, but without much success so far (just confirming g3gg0's findings from http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Register_Map ).

MonteNero

G3gg0,
You can plug any HDMI monitor be it tv or lcd display for pc.
Where do you live btw? I might help you with that.

MonteNero

Quote from: tonybeccar on May 06, 2014, 10:39:05 PM
Yes I agree. Some weeks ago I posted all the listing of the interface bugs. You are right, if you are on a real production, you are using 1, 2 or even 3 monitors at once, and it is paramount that the functionality is ok.

I don't know if to make a feature request or something, because it should be a high priority! I also do not know the reason behind this, because maybe if the interface is rewritten a bit the screen "copy" could be natively ok in the monitor.... aanyway. I'm really happy about the drop frame playback.. and it is much faster too!
Hey Tony, did you test new builds? I dont have my 5d at the mo.

MonteNero

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 07, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
same here, my current "implementation tasks":
- sound system: try to unify audio IC access for canon-configuration-finetuning, recording and playback
- mlv video: changes that improve experience (e.g. playback with sound)

concept work:
- understanding and checking generating color matrices

plus there are a lot of things that i started but not finished, like module unloading and some visual improvement.

but if someone sends me a small HDMI monitor, i can try to understand that RAW/YUV/BMP/HDMI positioning construct.
maybe i can fix your issues. although playback through EDMAC would make this task unnecessary
G3ggo!
Where are you from? may be I can help you with the monitor.

g3gg0

Quote from: MonteNero on May 08, 2014, 05:43:05 PM
G3gg0,
You can plug any HDMI monitor be it tv or lcd display for pc.
Where do you live btw? I might help you with that.
i have a monitor, but its rather stressful to unplug from PC, plug into camera, test, plug back a few hundred times to nail down how the HDMI coordinates and buffers map correctly.
i am from germany.

MonteNero

I can send you my field monitor for as long time as it necessary to make HDMI work perfectly.

Defkaunta

I am terribly sorry for being so amazingly stupid but where the heck can i get the mlv_play module to download and put into my ml folder? I tried searching but no candy for me! I have a 60D and want to play back raw files on my camera.  Does this only work with the mlv raw files or does it also play back the standard raw files? Thanks!

a1ex

mlv_play has a critical issue that may cause data loss.

I wasn't able to reproduce it yet, but - until next week when I'll be able to take a closer look - please try the quick fix from the link below and let me know if it works:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2022/mlv_play-destroy-data

(the link includes a video about how to reproduce the bug)

The code for the quick fix is this one: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/fa60068292f3

I'll include it in future nightly builds until a better fix is available. Worst case, it will have no effect.

g3gg0

also pushed a fix for the ugly delete task. might support in nailing down the problem.
or not.