MLV PLAY (mlv_play.mo)

Started by a1ex, October 28, 2013, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MA Visuals

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 09, 2013, 11:15:20 PM
can you test the next nightly build, if it works with .raw as expected?

Yes... playback of last recorded file now works well with .raw

It still often crashes often exiting playback mode when using an HDMI monitor.  I have been trying to recreate this, but so far, it seems to occur randomly.  When it happens, it always requires taking out the battery.

MonteNero

Happy New Year everyone! I wish everyone new interesting film/video projects and stable builds from ML team  this year ;)
During the Holidays I had time to play with new builds. The problems that I have been reporting several times are still there :( The HDMI playback crashes every single time when I exit from the playback. It crashes when I try to switch to another video file. The weird overlays are still there too.
And sadly my suggestions about frame rate playback improvement was left without any attention.
It is the beginning  of 2014 and there are plenty projects that are coming this year, and I really want to give a try to 5d ML on a professional shoot, but without stable HDMI playback my 5D is just a toy for shooting trees, dogs,cats and some family members. Come on guys, give a little bit of attention to the most needed thing in production! I really really hope that you will fix HDMI playback once and forever.
Cheers!!!

g3gg0

We cannot simply increase frame rate. Decoding already uses 100% CPU time.

the hdmi bug is confirmed, but its hard to debug it. I just have one hdmi monitor, that's the,one on my PC.
need a small screen, some like you use.

recording has higher precedence, so I focused on making recording more usable.
playback will follow later on.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

MA Visuals

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 05, 2014, 12:15:23 PM
the hdmi bug is confirmed, but its hard to debug it. I just have one hdmi monitor, that's the,one on my PC.
need a small screen, some like you use.

I just tried connecting my 5D3 to 2 different TVs which have HDMI out (both a Plasma and LCD).  The same exact 2 issues occur on both TVs as well (crashing on exiting playback & offset image).  Doos your TV have an HDMI port?  Hopefully, you would be able to recreate it that way without needing a specialized HDMI monitor for cameras.  Just trying to offer suggestions that might yield a solution to this issue.

I recall that the first version of MLVPlay you put out that supported HDMI playback did not crash, only later versions introduced the crashing upon exiting playback.  I'm not sure exactly in what build when it started however.

g3gg0

well, the tv is in a different room which makes it hard to do some tests.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

MA Visuals

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 08, 2014, 01:28:30 AM
well, the tv is in a different room which makes it hard to do some tests.

I wish I had an extra HDMI monitor to send you... I definitely would  :(  I appreciate all your efforts though.

MonteNero

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 05, 2014, 12:15:23 PM
We cannot simply increase frame rate. Decoding already uses 100% CPU time.
playback will follow later on.
That perfectly makes sense!
What if you frame skip? I mean, playback every second frame and hold it twice long on the screen for 24/25 fps??? That will male playback faster, because this way you read only 12 frames per second. And if this can sustain real time speed it would be GREAT!

a1ex

Did some cleanup and fixed a crash on 5D3.

Funny how nobody noticed what happens if you press delete a few times...

g3gg0

wow, thought that painting outside is already safe :)
ok thanks then!

a1ex

Small bug: if there are no videos recorded, pressing PLAY does nothing (remains in LiveView). It should at least print something.

MonteNero

Hi, Alex! It is been a while since I tryed new builds. I'will test playback this week!

optik

It's been about a week since I checked the nighties, has mlv_ play.mo been removed? Or I must be missing where it has been implemented in the menu
I just need to find way to play them back in camera (MLV)  ???
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm F1.4, Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI-s, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX, 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, Kumputer Bay 1000x 64GB, FCPX, Nuke, Modo, AE,
DaVinci

Audionut

I thought I must have messed up my repo, but it's broken in the nightlies too.

Building module mlv_play...
REBUILDING
[ README   ]   module_strings.h
[ CC       ]   mlv_play.o
make[4]: *** No rule to make target `video.bmp.rsc', needed by `mlv_play.mo'.  Stop.

WARNING: module mlv_play failed to build, deleting

optik

I added the module from 2014Feb18.5D311 to the newest nightly and everything seems to be working just fine.
Don't know if that's the safest thing to do since the back end rebuild, ??? I have no idea.
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm F1.4, Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI-s, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX, 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, Kumputer Bay 1000x 64GB, FCPX, Nuke, Modo, AE,
DaVinci

g3gg0

Audionut

I double checked my VM and it was fine.

That quoted build output above is direct from the nightly builds output.

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
Select a build and check the output.

g3gg0

Quote from: Audionut on February 20, 2014, 09:55:53 AM
I double checked my VM and it was fine.

that means, you can build mlv_play locally?
ok then its probably the build server

a1ex

g3gg0

g3gg0

please make sure you use a recent build of autoexec.bin with the new mlv_play.mo.
it uses a new interface available since a few days ago.

arrinkiiii

If not yet exist maybe is because can't have that functions but here the question...

It's not possible wend you press the play button for see the videos you have thumbnails of the videos instead of one  playing file?  ...and from there choosing what file you want to see?

optik

DaVinci

Audionut

When trying to play back resolution 3584 x 1320 on 5D3, it causes the LCD screen to enter QR mode, with standard Canon no image screen.  Red card light to remain on, and requiring battery pull.

Here is a file that causes the crash if needed.

anandkamal

hi am using march 2014 update for 5d3. I shot in .mlv and while in playback, i could not completely watch the preview. For ex: if the total frames is 731, the playback stops at 200 or 300 and while pressing play button again, it goes further till 600 frames and when left to repeat the playback, it plays till the end of 731 frames and does not start from the 1st frame but starts from 160th frame... any mistake that i am committing? or will it be like this ? thanks

g3gg0

please dont use modules that are older than a month.
get the latest nightly builds from there