600D RAW - Flickering Problem with Lights at Night [including test video]

Started by TonyPitzicatta, October 28, 2013, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyPitzicatta

Hello again,

I just got this ugly flickering effect in my night shot. The lights far away seem to go on and off. Propably produced by aliasing.
I just wanted to know if anyone made a similar experience? Is there a way to avoid this?

Settings used:

Tragic Lantern 2.0
1088x448
sRAW
640x480p mode

After Effects CC - Camera RAW 8.0 (no sharpening, or anything that would increase aliasing)
Magic Bullet InstantHD for upscaling (Upscaling just for video upload, the effect is exactly the same in the original footage)

I'm totaly satisfied with all my other shots. I have zero magenta frames and a stable continous record.
But this one shot really bothers me, because it's normally (in h.264) a pretty neat image and now in raw it just looks awful :(

I'm curious for your thoughts!

Tony

djzigoh

Light flickers at certain rate depending the power source and type of light. You can play with the shutter speed to eliminate it .. But I that specific type of shot I think u can't, u can only reduce it because there are to many type of light sources.

TonyPitzicatta

I just tried some shutter speeds and ISOs. No real improvements.

The Problem seem to occur when the light just covers a single pixel. The ironic part is, in h.264 the lights that cover just one pixel seem to be elimaneted by the h.264 compression, so no flickering here.

Only solutions i can think of are:

- Filming from tripod without any camera movement (don't like to be limited)
- use h.264 in these situations (lots of camera adjusting, not very practical)
- try filtering these lights away (anybody ideas?)