Fast prores workflow on Mac

Started by speakingcake, October 28, 2013, 02:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speakingcake

Hello,
I already posted a message about my problem on the raw2dng topic but I'll try here too as my solution may include other softwares... I have some troubles in postprocessing on mac (maverick). I'm working on a project with huge amount of RAW footage larger than 4.3GB shot with the 50D and I would like to convert them all to prores. The last raw2dng doesn't seem to process spanning, and when I do it manually on terminal using the cat command and then drag & drop the resulting RAW file on raw2dng, it seems to work for creating dng files (only the last frame is pink) but the resulting prores file does not work.
My question is simple : having a lot of files to process, what is the fastest way to convert them all to prores ? Any help will be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Tom

ilia

Davinci Resolve is the fastest way to convert dng to ProRes. I'm getting anywhere from 35-50fps rendering depending on what flavour of ProRes.

reddeercity

Quote from: speakingcake on October 28, 2013, 02:01:42 AM
Hello,
My question is simple : having a lot of files to process, what is the fastest way to convert them all to prores ? Any help will be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Tom
Adobe AE cc is fast, has Open CL & Cuda support on the mac.

speakingcake

Thanks for your advices !

So I guess I'll use Resolve. But just to be sure, there's right now no simple and direct way to batch convert from the original RAW and R00 files straight to prores ?

rockfallfilms

Quote from: speakingcake on October 28, 2013, 11:26:33 AM
Thanks for your advices !

So I guess I'll use Resolve. But just to be sure, there's right now no simple and direct way to batch convert from the original RAW and R00 files straight to prores ?

RAWMagic will convert your spanned .RAW files to DNG sequences.

speakingcake

Now i'm starting getting insane... I tried Resolve (9.1.6) for converting the dng files I obtained from raw2dng, but Resolve only read them as some kind of random noise (but curiously Gimp read them well...) So I tried as rockfallfilms suggested to convert my spanned files with RAWMagic but the resulting dng can't be read at all by resolve (but is read well again by Gimp and even on Preview but in a pink render in this last case) ! I don't know if I did something wrong... So now I'm considering emulating windows on my mac and run RAWanizer, do you think I'll have better chances ? Or should I try to get After Effects ? But I don't really want to work with this "creative cloud" suite, if there was a free and simple way to do this it would be a lot better...
Is this just me or everyone has problems with spanned files ?

rockfallfilms

Are you using the latest version of RAWMagic from the app store?

speakingcake

Yes I am... Should I use another ?

rockfallfilms

Quote from: speakingcake on October 28, 2013, 01:21:09 PM
Yes I am... Should I use another ?

That's the one I'm using and it's working ok for me.