First ever 4K raw video attempt on a Canon 5D Mark III

Started by EXIV, October 27, 2013, 07:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

There is no point TBH. If it ain't there in the original shot you can't conjure it up through scaling. I've tried scaling raw HD to 4K and beyond with ACR, resolve, AE, instant HD etc and I can't see any 'real' increase in resolution, sharpness or detail. The only 'perceived' increase in detail you can achieve is if you use tone mapping. Also, increasing sharpness beyond a few % is not the way to go for natural looking shots IMO. If you want 4k resolution you have to shoot native 4K.

The only possible benefit in upscaling is for Youtube playback of footage shot at or upscaled to 2K/4K at 1080p or if you have to upscale for a 2K+ theater viewing.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

sebone

sorry for being such a lay-man here, and sorry if somebody already posted an answer to this and I missed it but:

is this really real 4k footage with ML on a 5d?

how large are the original raw-frames anyway? I read somewhere that they're 4368x2912, which is just about 4k (actually larger right?), so in that case - why is there even a thread about this like it's something new, since shooting RAW is basically the main purpose for ML at all?

I dont have ML on my camera yet, but I'm thinking about trying it out, why I'm snooping around here, and asking stupid questions...

second:
if this is not recorded 4k footage, and just regular 2k (?) upscaled (i.e. blown up) to cover a 4k "frame area", then by all definitions it's not 4k at all and this is just silly, and it would definately not gain any quality... so what am I missing? what are we talking about here?

onthewall

Those raw frames you are thinking about are the images captured in photo. ML raw saves a smaller part from live view (~1920). My actual frames are 1920 x 818.

What he means by 4k is ~1920 scaled in ACR to 4096. It handles upres fairly well, and technically it is 4k resolution.

I like to boost to 2k in ACR before processing. I don't see a noticeable dip in quality, and it gives me more info when I get to export. Youtube absolutely destroys videos when it compresses. Beefy 2k files look more like true 1080p on youtube imo ;)

edit: it is a bit silly. I suppose if you shot a pickup on ML-raw and needed to place it into an existing 4k timeline (with some red footage?) that it might be a good idea. Or if you needed 2k master.

sebone

thanks for the answer! but...

you need to explain this as if to a three-year old.

I'm serious. And I need to get this.
Acronyms? I'm lost.
So, if you please... I'd really appreciate it!
Thank you!

ted ramasola

Simply put, the 5d does not shoot 4 K. the original post was an "experiment" to see if they can stretch his footage to 4k.

he said; "The main experiment consist in resizing the 1920x1080 dng frames to 3840x 2160 from Lightroom. "

Its like back in the day when you would stretch SD footage to match them with 1080 footage on a 1080 timeline.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

sephiroth

Quote from: EXIV on October 27, 2013, 07:19:35 PM
Here we go, finally our first 4K RAW video test made with the Canon 5D Mark III.  Following our 5D Mark II previous tests, we have exported the dng sequence in 3840x 2160 jpeg files directly from Lightroom. No moire and aliasing. We will make a tutorial about all of this soon, stay tuned!

Actually this was quite annoying. And really quite confusing for most people.  ???

IMHO this has nothing to do with ML 4k RAW footage.
You should consider renaming the title of this thread as it is now receiving a lot of pointless attention.
And, do you really think you are the first person to upscale 2k footage? Like the FIRST EVER attempt, really? Pretty naive.

How about this topic: "Another attempt at upscaling 2K RAW Canon 5D Mark III footage in ACR" 

Thanks.

jgerstel

You can record 4K with 5D3 if you lower frame rate. Please see test here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12253.0

Lenses:
  Kowa 8z lens
  Canon 85mm lens
Settings:
Anamorphic x2 settings: 1536x1290 24p
3K cropped: 2880x1206 12p
4K cropped: 3584x1320 12p

The Komputerbay 64GB card does not go beyond 112 MB/s (debug mode), this is why in 4K and 3K framarate has to be lowered.

Enjoy!
Modify message
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:01:10 PM by jgerstel »

jgerstel

And here another 3K vid with 5D3 - korfball match with my kids

Anamorphic x2 settings: 1536x1290 24p

cadop

What's the purpose of shooting with anamorphic lens? I did a bit of research to understand what is it and why it was developed (to better cover the sensor area), but in this hack the limitation is caused by the resolution, so we cannot use the full sensor area anyway.
I also found that often anamorphic lenses are just normal lenses with an anamorphic element adding potential distortion and reducing light transmission.
Thanks