Silent picture + Dual ISO

Started by maverick891, October 27, 2013, 07:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maverick891

So Dual ISO works fine on my 5d mk3 but if both features are on and I take a silent picture then it takes a normal picture. Is this a bug?
Is it not possible to implement them together i.e. silent picture bypasses camera circuitry which allows Dual ISO?

But then Dual ISO works with RAW video. Which I have always assumed is an extension of silent picture. So I took a silent picture in movie mode and it worked. However when i processed them with cr2hdr it still had horizontal lines which i could see at 100%. cr2hdr worked properly there was no doubt about that. The before and after pic were different. I should add that I used the mac gui version 1.6. For it I had to rename the DNG file created by silent picture into a CR2.

So no Dual ISO + silent pic in pic mode and unusable Dual ISO + silent pic in movie mode? Is this the current status or am I doing something wrong? I am on the Oct 22 nightly.

Just to say I don't want to come across as a complaining type. Just asking. I have been using ML ever since I bought my 550d almost 3 years ago and recently bought the 5dmk3 instead of BMCC because of ML. Thanks a lot for the superb work. You guys are the reason I am buying canon, not canon. Keep up the great work.

Marsu42

Quote from: maverick891 on October 27, 2013, 07:53:40 AM
So Dual ISO works fine on my 5d mk3 but if both features are on and I take a silent picture then it takes a normal picture. Is this a bug?

This doesn't seem to be compatible, silent picture just grabs the single-iso current image out of the live view buffer ... would be nice if it would work, though :-)

a1ex

Photo LiveView is optimized for taking regular photos (where it doesn't make sense to have a garbled preview).

Try taking silent pics in movie mode (where you also get correct exposure instead of ExpSim).

maverick891

Quote from: maverick891 on October 27, 2013, 07:53:40 AM
So I took a silent picture in movie mode and it worked. However when i processed them with cr2hdr it still had horizontal lines which i could see at 100%. cr2hdr worked properly there was no doubt about that. The before and after pic were different. I should add that I used the mac gui version 1.6. For it I had to rename the DNG file created by silent picture into a CR2.

Thanks for clarifying that a1ex. As I wrote above I tried that but the lines did not go away completely even after processing by c2hdr.

I should add to this though that when I tried this for individual frames of a RAW video I had no issues. Pretty strange.

a1ex

I must be blind, but I can't see any lines in this topic.

maverick891

My bad. Here is the problem I am talking about.

a1ex

maverick891

maverick891

maverick891

Please help. Without this can't take silent pic time-lapse with dual iso :(

a1ex

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=934

Found the problem, should be OK in the next nightly. For existing 5D3 silent pics taken at 1080p, run this command before cr2hdr:

exiftool *.DNG -ActiveArea="28 146 1318 2078"

maverick891

Thanks a lot a1ex. Sorry for my inappropriate forum behaviour.

alnasique

Hi there, I was surprized and puzzled much, when my 60d took a shot with these two features on (dual iso and silent picture) on the output it showed a file saved in .dng, picture taken in 465ms, striped like it should be in dual iso mode. But I haven't look at that DNG yet. Interesting, if there is really a full res dual iso ready file there, can I process this stripped dng with that software for converting dual iso cr2 to dng, or I need something alse to get rid of stripes? Thanks

PS. seems like nobody read my comments. Anyway, there is a continuation: saved .dngs are easily processed by the dual iso software, then in photoshop. Interesting that while processing in cr2dng my 60D is recognized as 5d mark III )
Any suggestions on encreasing shooting speed. Negative I saw about it, there is strong vigneting from one side (probably mirror shade) which goes away in editors but not completely. Thanks