Focus Stacking Weird Behaviour

Started by ouuzi, October 27, 2013, 02:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouuzi

Hi People,
I am playing with Focus Stacking and I have noticed a few things.
1)when you set the end point,the focus stacking finishes 1-2 steps beyond that point.
2)when this happened I thought I have to be more precise with the steps traveled.So I pick in Focus Stack settings 6 steps / picture and set my end point.After that I use follow focus and I move the focus point +24 steps from here.That's 4 pictures according to the settings.When I press copy focus range I get 5 pictures instead.(this is normal behaviour I forgot to count the first image in the stack).
The expected behaviour is to have 4 5 pictures taken and to finish at the end point exactly.

Can somebody help me out with this?

I am using 16 of October build on a 5D mk III.

a1ex

Try with very large steps and count them. If there's a mismatch, it will be fixed. If your lens motor is not accurate, there's little we can do (the only thing I can think of is some sensor fusion for lenses that report focus distance).

Marsu42

Quote from: ouuzi on October 27, 2013, 02:01:23 PM
Can somebody help me out with this?

Rather than painfully focus step the camera from end to start point, I find it quicker and more practical to enable focus peaking (with b/w so you can see it easier), mf to lens to the start point and then start a "dumb" stack with a large size, say 50 frames. When the focus moves beyond the end point you want, stop the stack with pressing the ml menu key. Yes, at the end of the stack you have to sit in front of your camera for this and try not to be in the light - but if saves you from just the annoyances you described.