$500 to spend. Need lenses. 550D. Portrait photos, filming indoors.

Started by Maskofsanity, October 29, 2013, 04:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maskofsanity

Hi guys!
I've got a 550D and decided to start getting more serious about photography. I know not a lot (but a keen learner!) and so far have been shooting with the stock lens and using ML to film.

I attend conferences where speakers talk often in dimly lit rooms pointing to PowerPoint presentations. It's not all dim of course, but my focus right now isn't landscapes and such.

I need to photograph the speakers plus some nice shots of folks in the crowd.

I film the 30 to 40 min presentations but so far the video and photos off the stock lens have a lot of grain when lighting was poor. That could easily be my inexperience, though I've tried different apertures, ISOs. Also the video file size for say 40 mins cut into three pieces is about 11gbs, is that huge? I compress to about 1gb for web yet even beforehand the quality isn't good.

Now I've got another coming up in a bit over a week so i will buy a lens tomorrow and was considering the Canon 50mm f1.4. Some folks back the 50mm Sigma 1.4 for a little more money.

I may need a faster SD card since I've started looking at RAW vid but I think it might fill up too quick if shooting for 30mins straight.

At the moment the video cuts and restarts as it fills up.

So I would live to hear your subjective opinions on how you would spend the money -- I'm in media so ill need to get much better kit eventually but it's early days still. Any links to lenses you can find would be great! I'm in Australia.

Thanks so much! I love ML!

Walter Schulz

I would suggest to rent lenses first and then - if pleased with results - think about purchasing.
You also may want to share some of your work and take opinions about how to improve your work.
When doing so please tell us more about your postprocessing schedule.

Sorry, but your approach sounds a lot like some sort of "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" to me.

550D is hampered by it's underperforming SD-card interface.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

Ciao
Walter

dmilligan

Just get the 50 1.8, you'll not regret it, then also get something a little wider angle, perhaps a 28mm since you have a crop sensor (you'll find the 50 a little tight for some circumstances). Also since you are planning on doing mostly video and portraits (so AF isn't very important), you can pick up some old school manual lens for super cheap. I have an old vivitar 135mm f2.8 (circa 1970 I think) that I picked up for about $50 (including adapter). Image quality is very good with these old lenses, usually some chromatic abberation, but it's easy to correct for in post.

maxotics

Yes, as dmilligan says, the 50mm 1.8's are loss-leaders for the camera-makers.  Best values in prime lenses.  Every other prime lens will start at $300, and expect to pay $500 to $2,000 for good ones.   Keep in mind if you go to full-frame you'll probably end up with a lot of useless glass. 

I'm always checking out my local Goodwill for lenses.  I also picked up a nice 135mm.  Wide angles are hard to come by.  If you see one, snap it up.  Ditto wide angle so you can shoot in crop mode.  Adapters are cheap.  Once you get into it, you'll be able to spend $5,000 without breaking  a sweat--if you have it.  Otherwise, best to go slowly! :)

Andy600

With that kind of budget I would suggest going vintage/manual.

I can't afford expensive glass but you can find some amazing older lenses on eBay etc.

I picked up an Auto Revuenon 50mm F1.4 (K mount), a Nikon 28mm F2.0 and a Jupiter 37a 135mm F2 plus adapters all for under 150 Euros locally. I've tried the 50mm up against a friends Canon 1.2 L 50mm and there is hardly anything in it in terms of sharpness, contrast and distortion. The only thing my lenses lack is IS (would be nice to have but not always needed) and auto focusing but who uses that for video work?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

50MM on that crop sensor won't be a 50 either. Get a 28 or wider. Nikon w/ AI to EF adapter is a good start too... one good lens is like $500, the manual ones are a bit cheaper... ie samyang superwide vs tokina is at least $200 price diff.

BrotherD

I own about 40 vintage lens. I have two new lens, a Canon 70-200 f4 ($600), and a Tamron 17-50 2.8 ($400). Those and a vintage Yashica 50 1.4 ($11) are usually in the bag. The Canon is best for photography and the Tamron has the best focal lengths for video, the Yashica is the sharpest and best for low light situations. We shot a short movie with it. You can view "Osi" at http://www.colemanentertainment.com/page04.html.

With $500 and needing more than one lens I would look online, in pawn shops and camera stores for vintage manual lens: 28 2.8, a 50 1.4 and a 70-200 4.0 so then most of your needs will be covered. You also need for video a wide like the Tokina 11-16 2.8.

Auto focus lens will cost more so you could buy old and new lens and still be within your price range. Find and compare then do lots of research before you buy.

Maskofsanity

Wow thanks for all the replies! I've spent hours researching and need to go for a walk.
I really appreciate the responses, thanks.

I've found many potentials and a variety that I could get overseas (haven't hit the pawnbrokers yet but there are wholesalers on online classifieds here such as  http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-yarra/digital-cameras/nikon-canon-auto-manual-lenses-digital-film-nikon-cameras/1030685410)

I won't rush it if I can't find a sure fit, but I'll pick up the 50mm 1.8.

I found a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF which @Brother D mentioned for $180, and in my neighbourhood. But it's got damage to the zoom. The videos I've been taking have been still -- I just set up the camera and let it run.  Not sure on the repair situation with these but I'd be willing to try it out on advice.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswick/digital-camera-accessories/tamron-sp-af-17-50mm-f-2-8-xr-di-ii-ld-if/1029111089

Thanks so much for helping out a newb. I normally wouldn't be pressed if it weren't for the event coming up. That said, I've consulted photog friends and won't throw cash at a mistake.

Cheers!