picture profiles

Started by cwebb4, October 23, 2013, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwebb4

Hello, i was wondering if i might be able to ask a quick question.
I was recently installing magic lantern firmware and had to wipe all my picture styles(i cant remember at which step i had to do this- maybe updating to most recent canon firmware). The picture style i formally used(named user def 1) is neutral with some adjustments to contrast and saturation. The thing is i also had adjusted my normal neutral picture profile so would my custom profile(user def 1) start with my already tampered neutral profile and make my further adjustments from there or would the picture setting of neutral be the standard pre tampered starting base for my custom style?

I hope this is clear enough but let me try and explain it differently.

My preferred picture style(which is now gone) was an adjusted version of neutral, but i had also made a minor adjustment to the real "neutral" profile before creating my picture style, would this mean my "user defined picture style" would be the adjusted neutral as its base, plus my adjustments for the profile itself.

hmmm, however i word it it sounds confused, but i'd appreciate it if anyone get's what i mean and knows how the camera uses picture profiles would respond.

thanks.

ItsMeLenny

That wasn't a quick question :P

And I was not aware that you could adjust the picture style on top of the other picture style.

Usually I use the user slots to upload picture styles to the camera which are usually more flat.

ItsMeLenny

In fact yeah I just tried it.

You cannot adjust a picture style on top of an adjusted picture style in camera.

You can upload adjusted picture styles though.

cwebb4

Hi Lenny, clearly i am not explaining this right.
My old neutral settings were not default neutral, i dialed the contrast down, my user def 1(profile of choice) was neutral with other changes, including contrast at 0, so what im wondering was if the camera(550d) used the default neutral to apply my changes to or the already contrast altered neutral plus my further changes...

glubber

i might be wrong, but from my understanding of picturestyles I'd say:
In-Camera adjustments ( saturation etc.) don't affect the picturestyle itself

The userdef style is derrived from a default picturestyle setting.

So your userdef neutral is a neutral neutral.  ;D
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

cwebb4

ahhh finally someone gets what i mean/i have explained it adequately :)

thanks glubber, thats definitely what im trying to find out.

anyone else confirm this? 

ItsMeLenny

If you lower the contrast in neutral, then make user def 1 your neutral, and then lower the contrast in it it will be exactly the same.
It doesn't build on the settings of your neutral settings. Am I still missing it?