Motion Detection Options

Started by Brad Owen, October 21, 2013, 11:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Owen

First post here, so let me start with great job on this piece of software! Thanks for all the hard work.

I've been using the motion detection feature off on the newer builds. Current build I'm running is 9/24. It works great. I've got probably close to 10k pictures with it.

I would like to suggest an additional feature. I could really use the option to move the detection zone around in the frame. Generally I am shooting cars at an autocross. When cars are coming straight up the course towards the camera the center detection zone works fine. However if I am trying to get a shot on a corner the car comes in from one side of the frame and goes across to the other side of the frame. Which means it can't start snapping a sequence till the car is half way through the frame and the first half of the field of view is "wasted" for lack of a better term. Here is an example from this past weekend:

It would be great if I could move the detection zone over to the left of the frame and had it start to fire the sequence earlier.

I've tried a few options but nothing has worked well. If I use any size detection area on the frame diff mode I get too many false pictures taken. The focal lengths tend to be large to keep the camera out of harms way and the wind tends to be blowing. I have to use the exposure mode. But with the large detection area and exposure mode the car does not cause enough of a change to get it to fire. I'm pretty much stuck with using the small detection zone with a very low (usually 2) setting to get it to work reliably.

Thanks.

SDX

If you run the nightly, this has been possible for over a year by now. You can set size and position of the area. Just move it with the arrow keys ;)

Brad Owen

You are right! Ok, can I change this to a request to update the documentation? :)

Seriously how would I have found that out? I've read the user's guide. I've read the FAQ. I even read as many of the change logs off the build site as I could get through. Is there some source I am missing?

Thanks!

SDX

The userguide is only updated on a release. This feature didn't make it into 2.3, sooo.
changelog-wise: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/d7fe64e175b977accc29c5240f73030a7304740e (impossible to find if you don't know what to search for)