Continuous or seamless audio

Started by primemultimedia, October 22, 2013, 01:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primemultimedia

My apologies if this has already been suggested, my search came up empty.

I noticed that with raw recording we are able to get separate .wav files, which I assume are continuous? My question is, is it possible to somehow record a continuous .wav file in the background while shooting .h264? If not, is it possible to start a recording when the camera reaches 29:59 or 4gb then end it when you hit record again? Essentially so we can have the option for continuous audio for events ect.

I know for continuous recording bandwidth would be a possible issue but could we disable .h264 sound to free some up?

a1ex

Turn audio off from Canon menu, start a wav recording from ML menu and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what else we can do.

1%

Using the wav recorder instead of separate wav would work. Syncing across multiple clips might be interesting however. Also longest I have recorded was an hour or so but I wasn't shooting video. At this moment main will leak till it runs out of memory (2-5 mins) so that may be another separate hurdle.

a1ex

Yeah, syncing is hard and I'm not sure where to start. You can probably find the timestamps (in microseconds) for the first frame in each H.264 clip (maybe with MVR_FRAME_NUMBER or just first frame for which recording is 1 or 2), also get the timestamps of each wav block, and write these to a file. But I have no idea what format is recognized by popular editing software.

I'll try to reproduce the leak.

1%

Sans memory backend it goes take take, give, take take give. So it appears you get all of your memory back. With the back end its just leak leak leak leak

primemultimedia

if it were possible to record h264 audio and separate wav then synching could be done with digital slate beep one one channel. Most people only record mono with shotgun mic into both channels.

a1ex

Both at the same time? there's only one audio device.