[IMPOSSIBLE] Better sharpening in 5dm3

Started by Andrzej, December 11, 2013, 04:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrzej

Hello Alex and all ml team!
Is it possible to improve native sharpening in Canon 5dmarkIII ?
I was using s0 in picture profiles and sharpnes was added in post. But there is some side effects of doing that:
1. Gain is going up
2. Bokech don't look soft, as it should be
Canon 5dm3, 550d, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 IS, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 20mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm 4.0-5.6, Samyang 14mm 2.8, Falcon 85mm 1.4, Zeiss 180mm 2.8 and more...

Audionut

The 5D3 doesn't have the necessary processing power to waste on something easily accomplished in post.

hjfilmspeed

I think he is referring to h.264. The camera already sharpens so i dont think we would be wasting processing power. But sharpening is a picturestyle feature. it seams one would have to alter how picture style editor works with that. Even if you did alter how the picturestyle sharpens i dont know if it would be much benefit it would be. is that what you are referring too? But again this is only useful if you dont shoot raw. raw is the way to go for good sharpness

Audionut

Video can still be sharpened in post  ;)

Not to mention, you probably shouldn't be sharpening h.264 anyway, since it's a shit encoder to begin with and sharpening edge detail is only going to increase bitrate requirements on an already strained encoder.  You'll gain sharpness and blocking.

Improve native sharpening implies throwing out the old POS sharpener and replacing it with something decent.  This will take processing power and is the same reason why something like this is dog slow compared to point resize.

In post you have almost unlimited processing power compared to the little ARM in camera.

a1ex

On DIGIC IV cameras I know how to set sharpness in finer increments, all the way down to zero (it's just tweaking a register). I don't remember anybody showing whether it helps or not, so it's actually a candidate for removing.

On 5D3 I have no idea where the picture style registers are.

budafilms

Andrzej

Hi everybody ! Thank You all for Your posts.
I was refering to All-I encoding. 2 reasons: it is taking much less processing power and gives no compression artefacts.
I know about sharpeing in post, yes you cane do it, but to do it right- is not so easy...

I dont like to do enything in post, becouse of quality degradation. White Balance for example.
Sharpeing in post is not really good. It boosts gain in whole image and make bokeh sharper.

Maybe a small modification in native 5dm3 sharpener will do the trick ?
I am using Canon 24-105 L
Canon 5dm3, 550d, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 IS, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 20mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm 4.0-5.6, Samyang 14mm 2.8, Falcon 85mm 1.4, Zeiss 180mm 2.8 and more...

budafilms

Quote from: Andrzej on December 14, 2013, 09:49:24 AM
Hi everybody ! Thank You all for Your posts.
I was refering to All-I encoding. 2 reasons: it is taking much less processing power and gives no compression artefacts.
I know about sharpeing in post, yes you cane do it, but to do it right- is not so easy...

I dont like to do enything in post, becouse of quality degradation. White Balance for example.
Sharpeing in post is not really good. It boosts gain in whole image and make bokeh sharper.

Maybe a small modification in native 5dm3 sharpener will do the trick ?
I am using Canon 24-105 L

A Note about your lens: 24-105 and 17-40 both L lens from Canon, are not very sharp like 50 mm 1.4 or the best Canon Lens 24-70 2.8. Maybe you are waiting something very sharp in the camera and the lens have a limite. Sharp in post is contrast.

Good lanterns!

Andrzej

I was referring to video mode in 5DmarkIII