? Record Full Frame video off a 5D mark iii

Started by DAxtell, October 21, 2013, 09:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAxtell

Hi,
I am looking for a way to Record Full Frame video off a 5D mark iii. Do I have to record in Raw or not? Does it have to be 14bit or can it be 12bit? It would be awesome to have High FPS 100% reliable full frame video coming off the camera.

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

walter_schulz

Full frame RAW ...
Let's say a single RAW may have 30 MByte. At 24 fps the bandwidth has to  be about 720 MByte/s.
Nope, nada, zilch, niente, njet ... won't happen.

DAxtell

a1ex

Yes, it's called "take pics like crazy" in menu.

DAxtell

Sorry, let me clarify and specify my questions. I am needing to record 1920 x 1280. (3:2) Is it possible to do this using H.264? I know I can record this resolution in the ML RAW mode, but needing options as that can be a lengthy process in post. Also is it possible to change the bit depth in the RAW mode? From 14bit, 12bit, 10bit to get higher FPS or longer record times? Lastly, i'm curious to see how many FPS I could get at 1920x1280 in either H.264 or RAW... Any thoughts? Thanks guys! Much Appreciated.

a1ex

That's a completely different story.

Still, I have no idea how to change H.264 resolution. You can change bit depth, but the CPU is not fast enough (so you will not get any improvement).

For longer recording times, try looking in the MLV thread (recording on two cards).