Slit-Scan photography effect

Started by bronson, November 08, 2013, 01:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bronson

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to make this effect on a single shot (not a video effect).
In fact it would record the lines one by one sensor from top bottom or left to right during a request period and write a dng after that.

Here's an article about this old photography effect
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-slit-scan.html

And thanx to all for what's done here by the ML crew.

bnvm

I imagine it could be done using the same techniques that raw video uses however I doubt any one here would want to implement that. Generally the dev's here don't add something that can be done in post processing, especially in this case where it would be much better to just shoot video and do this in post. That way you can have complete control over the effect than burning it into an image in camera.

bronson

For sure, it could be done in post-production...
But in few seconds you can see the result

I made a test with the 1DC 4K video camera..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurent_valencia/10745702086

But it's very hard to have a good workflow @25fps.. and with HD video you only have a 2mpx.. it's very cheap for printing.

I know this is not a technological breakthrough, then it does not interest many people...

mageye

Have you noticed the 'Silent Picture' module under the shoot menu? If not enable the module. Go to the settings (of Silent Picture) and you may notice something there.
;)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

bronson

:D thanx mageye

I missed this change..
But I don't see any custom submenu for changing the duration of the effect.
@25fps the duration is 50 seconds.

Is it customizable in time ? and from left to right or backward ?