Weird Benchmark results - Komputer Bay 1050x 128GB card

Started by pjamedia, October 20, 2013, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjamedia

I have been testing out my new Komputer Bay 128GB 1050x card in my 5d3. Running benchmarks in ML, I am seeing some strange results. At first it made me think that the 72MB/sec max write speed I was seeing was a flaw in the CF card, but on making a few tweaks to settings on the camera I am seeing varying results on the benchmark test - so its making me think that maybe the card is capable of the advertised 100MB/sec write speeds, and maybe the overheads imposed by the firmware/operation are causing the loss of speed in benchmarks. This is what I ran and my findings:

Test 1: Global Draw - on, All other overlay function settings - off, liveview mode - on

So max write speed here is 77.7MB/sec

Test 2:  Global Draw - OFF, All other overlay function settings - n/a, liveview mode - on

Test 3: Global Draw - OFF, All other overlay function settings - n/a, liveview mode - OFF (so the switch on the back was flipped to regular viewfinder mode as you would have generally for stills):

Bizzarely, the benchmark managed 92.3MB/sec here.

This shows that the display options have a huge effect on ML's write performance, and I'm thinking now that maybe the Komputer Bay card is capable of its advertised 100MB/sec write speed, but the software is just not capable of being able to write data that fast due to overheads.

Should I send the card back due to thinking it is not capable of attaining the advertised write speeds? The performance when shooting RAW does appear to be rather random/erratic.

Comments on a postcard please...

RenatoPhoto

The correct setup for benchmark has been discussed many-many times previously.  You should not be on video mode or photo mode GD OFF for fastest results.
You should test it against other cards that perform well to get any idea if this card should be returned or not.

Also  there has been many issues with 1050x.
Go to Hardware and Accesories:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=40.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X