[1 ALREADY DONE / 2 LOL] NIGHT VISION/IR

Started by wbp266, October 20, 2013, 07:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbp266

Hi, I just started doing a ghost hunting show for a local access tv station and have been using cameras with night vision mode as the A Cam and DSLRs as the B camera when the lights are on, and was wondering if there's any chance if ML can modify the Canon DSLRs to also be able to shoot in night vision/IR mode?

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

wolf

If there were ghosts to hunt, watch or film, ML would have such a feature I guess. ;-)

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

Quote from: wolf on October 20, 2013, 11:38:35 PM
If there were ghosts to hunt, watch or film, ML would have such a feature I guess. ;-)

On-topic: you can try shooting at half FPS (say 12) and then interpolate to 24, or you can try Frame Merger: http://bit.ly/frame-merger (in both cases you'll get a little less noise for night shots, probably 1 stop or so).

If you use H.264, take a look at ML digital ISO.

halbmoki

IR-video is possible with FPS override and/or display gain. So far, I've only used it for timelapse (f/5,6 320 ISO and 1FPS in normal daylight with a 50D and 720nm filter), but the same exposure translates to roughly f/2, 1000 ISO and 30FPS, so regular speed IR-video is possible. Pushing the ISO above 25600 may be necessary for indoor-situations, even with relatively good lighting. A compact camera or camcorder with a built-in night mode will probably give you less noise.
For filming in darkness (to the human eye, anyway), you'll still need a strong IR light source, though. I've seen something like it with several strong video lights, each with an IR filter in front of it.

A true "IR-mode" is not possible without physically replacing the IR-cut filter with a piece of clear glass. The best way to do it with an out-of-the-box DSLR is to get a 60Da which has slightly better IR-sensitivity (around 690nm maximum, I think)