Looking to try, but want to be sure I understand...

Started by SuperSirLink, October 06, 2013, 03:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSirLink

Looking to try ML on my T2i/550D.  I understand that ML runs completely off the card and uses a "fake" FW update to change the boot flag option on the camera.  But does it also format the card bootable, or do I have to do that outside of the camera?

Also I have 2 SD cards a 16GB and 32GB, I wanted to put ML on the 16GB and leave 32GB without.  That way I can use ML when I want, but have the 32GB to use the camera "stock".  Is this safe.  Will the camera operate ok with the bootflag set and a non bootable card inserted.  Seems to me the only risk in doing so would be if I put a bootable card in without ML on it...

SleeperNinja

Having a bootable card with no firmware or ML files will simply run stock. It'll be fine.

As far as the process, real camera firmware first, then format card, put ML files on and "update" again to enable ML and set it bootable. Spend some time getting used to the interface, and you may prefer it. It's generally stable until you start messing with nightly builds for special modules and such.

SuperSirLink

Cool, so I can safely go between a ML card and a standard card then?

I have the latest 1.09 firmware, should I re-flash with the same version?

My wife uses the camera sometimes and she is a basic auto person, so don't want to confuse her with ML...

burgler2112

"Cool, so I can safely go between a ML card and a standard card then?"

I have the same question, I already installed an alpha version on my T4I and all seems well so far, but I want to ensure I can safely take out the card with ML and put in one of my other 2 SD cards and go stock Canon on the fly.

wolf

You can run ML without touching Canon's firmware. All you need is to set the boot flag of your SD-Card and copy the  ML files to the card.
Be aware if you insert a card with the boot flag set but without the ML files the camera won't start.

engardeknave

You can just hold the Set button at boot to start the camera without ML.