5dmk3 suddenly stopped writing raw video

Started by Starshade, October 19, 2013, 01:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starshade

Hello,

I have a 5dmk3, transcend 32gb 90MB/s card and I've been recording fullHD raw at 23.976 for a while. Crop mode mostly. Until today. After about 30 minutes of occasional filming (taking breaks to unload the card to pc), the camera suddenly just refused to go past few seconds. If I allow frame skipping, it just increases the number of skipped frames rapidly (not like 1 or 2, which happened in the past).

Additionally: I shoot at high iso (have no choice). At least 1600, but I tried 800 just in case... as I know high iso increases raw file size for stills. No avail. I did a write/read test and at highest buffer size the speed was about 98MB/s (higher than promised!). So there's no problem with the card I presume. I also tried formatting it in camera. No avail. Disabling global draw didn't do anything either. The only settings that I changed were iso and shutter speed. Changing them didn't do anything. FPS override is set (and always was) to 24, which makes computed fps 23.976 - kind of I don't understand this feature and it never bothered me before.

After lots of struggling with settings I gave up for today. Just tested the camera again with lens cap on (to record black) and the recording doesn't stop (!?). Overheating? I was giving the camera enough time to cool while uploading files to pc.

Any ideas what am I doing wrong? 

Malcolm Debono

Did you try recording on another card? Could help determine whether problem is coming from camera or not
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

RenatoPhoto

Also make sure CF card is selected for recording.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

hjfilmspeed

A while back i had a issue like this too except in my case the mod just disappeared. i got nervous and pulled batt and reboot without card. everything was fine then rebooted with ml and it was back on track. I then went to a new build just to be safe.

as was mentioned make sure ur card didnt shift happens when you pull out cf card then close the door. i think canon switches it. then when you put cf card back in it stays on your sd card. there is a sweet little feature in ML called card preference. Switch it to cf and it will all ways record to your cf if its there. Amazing ML guys for hooking us up with that one!!! i cant tell you how many times canon switched it on me.