ML and sports photography

Started by rassilon, October 19, 2013, 06:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rassilon

I use a Canon 5d Mark III and have been shooting sports photography, day and night for a few years but it appears as though since installing ML, my pictures are all either hazy, blurry bad color cast, the shutter speed jumps to a different speed than what I want etc..

Does anyone recommend any certain settings on MK for day football pictures and ones for night football pictures?

Thank you

Marsu42

Quote from: rassilon on October 19, 2013, 06:40:06 PMDoes anyone recommend any certain settings on MK for day football pictures and ones for night football pictures?

I would shoot these with Auto ISO, either in...

* Av with a select min. shutter speed (if you want to control the dof)
* Tv with min. aperture (if you want to control the stopping power and adjust it to the level of current action).
* M with "Expo Lock" for quick adjustments of both aperture/shutter at the same time

rassilon

I tried Av but it just just selects anything from 1/15-1/250 shutter.  So I get blurry limbs.
Had not thought about the Tv mode.

RenatoPhoto

I use it for wildlife photography and never change from Tv modes, except for ETTR and RAW video which I do in M mode.  You can program three specific modes to C1, C2, and C3 all in Tv to quickly change form one type of setting to another.

In wildlife photography I use TV, C1, C2, C3 for very quick mode change to instantly adapt to the shooting requirements.
For example I program C3 for bird in flight, with shutter at 2000,  AI servo, High speed continuous shooting, 61 pt AF, Auto Iso, +3 EC.
C2 for bird against light, with shutter at 320, AI servo, High speed continuous shooting, AF Area Sorround, Auto Iso, +2 EC.
C1 for bird on the ground, with shutter at 250, AI servo, High speed continuous shooting, AF Spot, Auto Iso, +1 EC (kind-of ETTR).
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Audionut

ML default install doesn't have any settings enabled that effect metering/color/focus.

For day time, since shutter is your priority you should use Tv(+EC)/M modes.
For reference, f/5.6 1/1000s ISO 800 will expose correctly on a very overcast day.

For night time.  If the lighting is reasonably even across the playing field I would switch to full manual mode.  This will stop the meter getting thrown off if you expose with the light source in frame (resulting in underexposing your subjects), and it's set and forget.

Quote from: Marsu42 on October 19, 2013, 06:55:47 PM
* Tv with min. aperture (if you want to control the stopping power and adjust it to the level of current action).

You can't adjust minimum aperture in Tv mode with Canon firmware.  The OP would need to use your module.

rassilon

I tried out Tv mode yesterday and it did fine.  I do need to bump my speed up higher though, I still have some motion blur at 1250 shutter.  I have not processed my night game from last night but I did half Tv and half in Dual-ISO.

RenatoPhoto

More specifically I use M and ETTR for shots where I want to reduce noise and improve color.  In this mode I enable the Link to Canon shutter so I can control the shutter speed that ETTR is using.  It is a really sweet combination. See here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6076.msg46130#msg46130
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X