would the 5d m3 version work with firmware 1.2.3?

Started by linbs, November 13, 2013, 05:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikigod19

Right.. That might change everything then. What a total pain. Wish I'd read up before I bought the mkiii..

Tikigod19

The thing I use most is probably crop marks. Looks like I'll just get the black electrical tape out and keep my eye on the ML website :(

Walter Schulz

Guess you don't know IT geeks that well.  8)
There is always a risk running third party software on a platform without support by the platform's owner. And that is the case here, even if - some day - a "stable" ML version will be released
You have to wage risks involved vs. benefits.
You asked for the worst case and I jumped in. With a grin ...
I expected your next question to be about how often that worst case scenario actually happened and probabilty of such an occurance. Instead I see you running scared.

I'm now going to steal christmas.

Ciao
Walter

PS: ML devs never tried to hide the big DISCLAIMER about lack of responsibility if something goes terrible wrong. Quite the opposite!

Tikigod19

i know Walter, I know there is always going to be a risk with a stable version but without reading every post of every thread on every website concerning ML, I can't get a feel of how stable it is now. Yep, you scared me off.

Tikigod19

I should say, I use ML now on my mkii all day long for 50 weddings a year and I haven't had a problem for at least 3 years so I'm not afraid of taking a small risk, I'm afraid of taking a big risk

Tikigod19

well i've gone ahead and taken the risk, but a few questions if I may..

1) when I press info on a ML screen (I used to get ML help files) it says help files not found.. I also had a few funny things go on during install (no message about bootflag, it was a graphical glitch and just showed lots of boxes of dots instead.. not sure if this has caused it..?)

2) in the audio menu there doesnt allow me to adjust the audio level, just by the looks of it the level of the cameras beeps and playback?

It's almost like there is a way to see an expanded version of the menu in full and I'm looking at a 'lite' version but I cant find the manual in the download

3) oh, also I just pulled my mic out of the camera when it was on and the whole cam shut down, now when I restart I get told cam was not shut down properly, skipping module checking. Also the temperature has been on the increase since I turned it on about 10 mins ago and has risen from 30 degrees to 45 degrees on the on screen display. Is this normal?

4) Finally, when I go to format card (the SD which has ML installed as I just realised video was being recorded there as well) I dont get the keep/remove magic lantern text. Is this no longer there?

5) In the text underneath when I hover over the movie tweaks option group it lists movie restart but when I go into it it only says movie logging, rec/standby notification, dim rec led, and force live view. Where is movie restart? is it automatically on?

6) I have a ROM.DAT still on the sd card.. is that meant to be there? I'm suspecting an incorrect install..

7) With the magic zoom during recording I seem to have to have it assigned to the zoom button on the left of the body which is useless to me or the zoomin (+) button which I can't see on the camera, is it the same button? I have assigned the standard canon zoom in to the set button and would like my magic zoom to work only during recording and be triggered by this set button, is that possible?

Not a great start..

dmilligan

Quote from: Tikigod19 on December 04, 2013, 01:01:09 PM
Not a great start..

Welcome to the wonderful world of pre-alpha, unfinished, untested, unpolished, incomplete software. You will find the answer to every one of these questions if you read these forums. ML is not the same on every camera, not all features work on every camera.

1. Nightlies don't contain help docs

2. http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/features.html

3. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8968

4. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7125.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9274.0

5. http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/features.html

6. yes

7. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7816

Tikigod19

I appreciate you taking the time to write that reply and find those threads dmilligan.
Although I didnt understand 30% of what I read, the features grid is very handy and I wish I'd seen it before as audio gain and movie restart are both very important to me. Nevermind.

On the temperature issue I assume ML doesnt make the cam run any hotter than stock fw, its just as the indicator is there it worries me slightly. I guess I'll learn to relax when it's red which it seems like its going to be all the time if it reaches 66 degrees just sitting on my desk in a cool office at home.

I'm still none the wiser on point 4 about formatting the card. The links you posted seem to relate to startup delay and the bootflag. I assume these two things are related but could you explain how?

again no tsure on point 6 about the location of the magic zoom button, am I right in saying at the moment it NEEDS to be the magnifying glass button and this can't be changed until this button assignment feature that some are requesting has been implamented (if possible) is that correct?

Tikigod19

red led flashing when the camera is not doing anything.. is this its way of telling me it's on but not recording, as I'd really like to disable this most annoying of features but cant see where to in the manual. I'd like my red led to only flash when recording/accessing the card.. not all the time (especially in photo mode!)

Walter Schulz

Prefs -> Warning for bad settings -> All items set OFF?

Tikigod19

thats done it.. thanks Walter. Totally my fault as I'd changed something from stock. Thank you. It is still flashing but less than it was, the occasional quick flash every 5 seconds or so. Norhing that can be done about this I assume? I noticed it less when it was the blue led on my mk2.

Just a thought on the absence of digital audio gain... I used to record everything a little bit quiet on my mkii and then apply a +12dB gain to my right channel. That way if there was a lot of noise I'd fill left in my editing suite (dual mono sound, but not clipping) and if it was a quiet scene and I wanted to raise the audio I'd fill right (still dual mono but not necessary to audio gain in post) and I loved this system, enabling me to theoretically record 2 audio tracks at different levels and know that in most cases, one or the other will be suitable.

Now, I know I'm not used to use auto level on my mk3 because of the AGC creating a hiss in silent/quiet situations, but assuming ML disables the AGC as it did with the mkii and other cameras, is it now ok to leave the camera in auto mode for audio without the risk that would have been there without ML installed?