Script for deflickering and ramping ACR (.xmp) settings in Bridge

Started by dmilligan, October 17, 2013, 12:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

I think you have to clean the cache after you run the script. Sometimes bridge doesn,t update the thumbnails automatically.
Rightclick on the files. Should say something about cache higher up in the menu

timdit

Yeah, I figured that out, I'll try again to see if I can get it to go the first time.

I'm also having trouble getting it to ramp Temperature.  I have it set on the first and last photos, and when I choose temperature from the dropdown, it recognizes both values, but it doesn't change anything.  If I check additave, it will change the first and last but they will be very high numbers, and no photos inbetween are changed.  I'm working with about 360 photos in this instance.  Any ideas?  The exposure ramp works brilliantly.

Tim

dmilligan

you need to set the wb on all photos to 'custom' or it wont work, the temperature is actually being set, but it's being overridden by the value coming from 'auto' or 'as shot' mode

I'll see if there's a way I can have the script do this automatically for you

Danne

A short night to day timelapse this time using gradient filters.
Ettr, always on
dual iso
Post, script, adobe bridge

dmilligan

Danne

Hi! Is it possible to get the script to ramp whitebalance also with jpeg,s? I find I can ramp exposure, contrast and so on but when I try white balance it say ´NaN´suddenly. Does it have to be raw files whe ramping whitebalance?
Thanks!
/D

dmilligan

You can sort of white balance images that aren't raw, but you loose a lot of flexibility compared to raw. So if you can, ramp the white balance in camera (with adv_int.mo) if you're shooting a jpg sequence.

ACR may have a different tag name for white balance for non raw images, since it's not a true white balance, they way white balance on raw works. I'll investigate...

Danne

Hi David! Thanks for taking your time. The question about whitebalance on jpeg entered my mind when I was planning a larger project with my students. Not everyone will be served a camera with raw-capabilities. Would be cool to stretch this project and let the class use their phones and so on. Absolutely not necessary in any way to be able to alter wb on jpegs if It,s a hassle. The script is still rock solid as is.
Big thanks!
/D

Danne

Hi!
I noticed that when I,m working with gradients I can actually ramp whitebalance, clarity etc on both jpeg and raw. It seems it,s also flickerfree when applying clarity and using highlight recovery when working with gradients. This would be ideal for working with movieclips as well. The only hick-up is these white frames when I try to work with starred frames. EVerything is fine going from one point to the next but when trying several starred frames they become white. Any clues?

dmilligan

Danne

aah, you are right. Must have switched somehow. Working againg. Sorry. I,ll post some results in a couple of days. Another donation coming.
Thanks!
/D

Danne

Working with the gradient tool in acr gives full control of whitebalance and other parameters through your script. Ramping jpegs work really well and also highlight recovery with filmfiles. Giving flickerfree highlight recovery to my understanding going through gradients.

itsskin

Hi!

I have a new bug here with version from the website.
On every 3rd iteration, it is stuck at one file before the keyframe. Suppose it's my one special sequence, but still:

Update: Running script in 2 iterations "batches" works fine.

dmilligan

Quote from: itsskin on December 18, 2013, 07:07:02 PM
I have a new bug here with version from the website.
On every 3rd iteration, it is stuck at one file before the keyframe. Suppose it's my one special sequence, but still:

Hmm... Not sure what could be going on. If the script crashes, the progress window can actually stay open, even though the script has 'terminated', so it might have just quit, rather than getting 'stuck'.

Use this version of the script and send me the console output:
https://raw.github.com/davidmilligan/BridgeRamp/debug/BridgeRampingScript.jsx

Also, do you know how to step through the code? Set a breakpoint at line 745 and see if you can figure out where it's choking.

itsskin

Here is the debug log. I changed the sequence and now it hangs in other place.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17452116/Debug%20log.zip

I don't know how to go through the code step by step. If log won't help, probably you'll have to tell me how to do this.

dmilligan

Thanks, looks like somehow the calculated ev is getting set to NaN (not a number):

keyframe 108B0295.CR2: 216
keyframe 108B0383.CR2: 210
108B0296.CR2: NaNev (215.931818181818 - 189)

The computed ev in the log is NaN. The computation is:

var ev = convertToEV(target) - convertToEV(computed) + offset;

target and computed are the two values listed (215.9... and 189) so there's nothing wrong with them, so it must be the offset that is a NaN. The offset is simply the current Exposure2012 value read from the xmp file.

But IDK if that is the source of the crash, doesn't seem like it would be (I intentionally put NaN in the xmp file and ran the script it actually didn't bother the script at all and it worked fine). I changed the script to explicitly check that offset is not a NaN, IDK if that well help, but try it and see:

dmilligan

So it looks like the values are not changing from one iteration to the next. This doesn't make a lot of sense. Is it writing values in the XMP sidecars? Are the exposure values changed in the ACR dialog? Try re-initializing all the exposure values back to 0 (back up the current xmp sidecars if you want) in the ACR dialog and running it again. Maybe also try getting rid of all the sidecars and starting from scratch. It seems to me like something is wrong with either the reading or writing (or both) of the metadata.

itsskin

What I did last time was deleting all non-keyframe XMP files, syncing crop value form first keyframe to all others, Ramp all values and run deflicker process.

itsskin

dmilligan

Looking at that log it appears that the values are not changing at all from one iteration to the next. It's as if the metadata is not being written to the XMP files. Delete the XMPs, run one iteration and then look to see that XMPs got created. Look in the XMP files themselves and see that some values other than 0 got written into the "Exposure2012" field. Also open any non-keyframe in the Bridge ACR dialog and verify that the Exposure slider is on something other than 0.0.

If the XMPs are not getting created, try opening the ACR dialog and just changing some value of something and synchronizing for all frames, so that ACR itself will initialize all the XMP files. Verify that XMPs are in fact created when you do this.

limey

I'm running into an issue with deflickering. I've run probably 30 iterations without much change. I saw that you have to make the white balance "custom," but it still hasn't really improved much. I just used the bridge script the other day and it worked great, however, it wasn't a full night to day timelapse.

Flickering example (20 second interval):
https://vimeo.com/87230529

No flicker example (maybe 6 second interval):
https://vimeo.com/85634622

dmilligan

you shouldn't need more than about 2 or 3 iterations so it sounds like the metadata is not getting changed (see the above few posts, might be the same problem, I can't seem to duplicate it myself), try this debug version and send me the debug console output:

Also try the things I mentioned aboved, check the XMPs, recreate them, ensure the values are changing, etc.

limey

Did another timelapse this time day to night and still getting flicker. Do I need to use the adv_int.mo I saw you posted in other thread for this to be flicker free?

I did auto ettr, image review 2 sec, live view, only edit the tone curve. I've tried ramping exposure in bridge script, then deflicker, I've also tried just deflicker. Yet still getting flicker.

dmilligan

Quote from: limey on February 22, 2014, 01:58:21 PM
Did another timelapse this time day to night and still getting flicker. Do I need to use the adv_int.mo I saw you posted in other thread for this to be flicker free?
No

Quote from: limey on February 22, 2014, 01:58:21 PM
I did auto ettr, image review 2 sec, live view, only edit the tone curve. I've tried ramping exposure in bridge script, then deflicker, I've also tried just deflicker. Yet still getting flicker.
Is the script actually adjusting the exposure?