Disable "Junkie mode" & quick access to Canon menu

Started by Marsu42, October 09, 2013, 02:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

The new "Junke Mode" is really nice and all, but I find myself never using it. Instead I suggest an option to get close the ml menu(s) and get to the Canon menu asap when pressing BGMT_MENU (menu.c), Q is already there to close submenus as well as open them.

I could submit a pull request for this, but only if there is a chance of getting this option merged, otherwise I'll just use it locally. Opinions, please?

RenatoPhoto

I dont use Junkie mode, close ML and onto Canon sounds good.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dmilligan

+1 junkie mode should be a setting, not a button shortcut

engardeknave

Junkie mode is awesome. You guys are missing out. Especially in conjunction with configs.

I use both, though, which I think is the intent. Typically I leave everything visible in the regular menu and remove everything I rarely or never use from the Junkie mode screen.

a1ex

I use it in the same way. The big issue IMO is that default config (showing everything) is overwhelming (you need many clicks to customize it the way you want it).

I even thought to implement an automatic junkie menu based on your usage patterns, but the idea didn't seem well received (and the delta menu is a good approximation). Maybe I'll revisit it at some point.

Marsu42

Quote from: engardeknave on October 16, 2013, 09:33:25 AM
Junkie mode is awesome. You guys are missing out. Especially in conjunction with configs.

I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that junkie mode might be useful to some, or even to all if properly configured - my problem is that getting into the Canon menu as fast as possible is even more important (exposure level increments, af settings, screen brightness, ...). Right now using the ml & Canon menu in parallel is a hassle and involves too many button clicks for my liking.

Of course disabling a feature that has received a lot of work is not greeted with enthusiasm, but still I don't see how a "enable junkie mode" option would hurt, it's not like ml is there to force innovations down users' thoats but about giving them a choice - as some of the above posts show I'm not the only one with this preference.

Audionut

Quote from: Marsu42 on October 16, 2013, 10:07:24 AM
I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that junkie mode might be useful to some, or even to all if properly configured - my problem is that getting into the Canon menu as fast as possible is even more important (exposure level increments, af settings, screen brightness, ...). Right now using the ml & Canon menu in parallel is a hassle and involves too many button clicks for my liking.

Half press of shutter is to many buttons?
It's only when you're in ML menu that you need to exit to enter Canon menu.  And AFAIK, you must exit Canon menu before entering ML menu also.  But it's still only 1 extra button press  :o

One day when it's not taking a thread OT, I'd love to know why you need quick access to "exposure level increments, af settings, screen brightness,".  I don't think I have ever changed those settings after initial setup.  I would have thought you'd have the different AF tracking linked to the custom dial.

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on October 17, 2013, 05:36:37 AM
It's only when you're in ML menu that you need to exit to enter Canon menu.

Excellent point, I think we should try to change this also - the trash button doesn't do anything in the Canon menu, so it could go to the ml menu right away.

Quote from: Audionut on October 17, 2013, 05:36:37 AM
One day when it's not taking a thread OT, I'd love to know why you need quick access to "exposure level increments, af settings, screen brightness,".  I don't think I have ever changed those settings after initial setup.  I would have thought you'd have the different AF tracking linked to the custom dial.

I think we have sufficiently and beyond doubt established that we use our cameras in very different ways, and you have already stated that you don't have any experience with what I do - you could venture to accept that every delay loses shots. Btw the 5d3 has a brightness sensor, so obviously there does seem to be a need for changing the lcd brightness while on my cheap cameras I have to do it myself :-\

Edit: Btw another variant next to disabling junkie mode would be (an additional option) to move the junkie menu to the lv button. In this case, menu would go straight to canon, while you'd need to exit the ml menu to get to live view. I think this is a perfect solution since it's only one more button press than now and I never use live view :-p ... and imho ml is about giving users choice.

a1ex

Quote from: Marsu42 on October 17, 2013, 10:05:25 AM
Excellent point, I think we should try to change this also - the trash button doesn't do anything in the Canon menu, so it could go to the ml menu right away.

Sometimes it does (Format dialog, playback stuff when entering from the menu...) and there's no known way to detect this easily.

LV button is already used to see the LiveView image behind the menu.