instant playback of 5D3 raw video - a possible solution?

Started by ptaylor999, October 16, 2013, 08:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptaylor999

Hi everyone.

So I've scoured this site, and others, for possible solutions to the problem of not being able to playback raw video on the 5D3, and am wondering if this idea I have might possibly be a decent workaround.

I realize that the current raw capabilities on ML are based on Canon firmware version 1.1.3, which does not have clean HDMI out. So this precludes any external monitoring, or playback.

BUT, would it be possible to hook up an Atomos Ninja 2 to the RCA port on the 5D3 via an adapter cable (HDMI to RCA) and record to the Ninja that way? I realize that the quality would suffer, and so doing things like using the Ninja for focusing might be problematic, but I'm really only looking for the ability to playback the current shot to check for issues like framing and performance, so i can move on to the next shot with some level of confidence.

I have never used a Ninja before, and thus have no idea if this is even possible. Which is why I'm asking you.

Some of my concerns are:
- would I lose LiveView when connecting an RCA jack for output?
- would this affect write speed?
- Is this even possible at all?

Any comments, advice, other solutions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

-- Pat Taylor

painya

Quote from: ptaylor999 on October 18, 2013, 04:55:13 AM
Nothing? Really?
People that are experts on this sort of thing aren't always online. Plus there is already a thread dedicated to this http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5695.msg83597#msg83597

At least these parts
QuoteSome of my concerns are:
- would I lose LiveView when connecting an RCA jack for output?
- would this affect write speed?
- Is this even possible at all?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.