VisionLOG profile for ACR & Lightroom

Started by Steven Griffith, October 14, 2013, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Africashot

I have no problem using Vision log with 5D2 and DNGs converted by BATCHelor, thanks for the profile!
ML 5D2 & T3i

Steven Griffith

QuoteWith 60D, I'm getting Canikon too even with the most recent raw2dng but i'm pretty sure this is not a problem with VisionLog but with ML creating EXIF info in RAW files
Confirmed.

The white balance and tint shift some of you are getting with the Canikon version of VisionLOG is not directly caused by the profile. It seems that either the camera, ML or raw2dng embeds these offsets into the RAW files which take effect once any external profile (≠ embedded) which is unknown to ACR outside of the metadata of the dcp profile is loaded. The only work around is to get correct EXIF data for each camera.

We're working on a v2 of VisionLOG atm which preserves more highlight detail to bypass all flickering introduced by the image-adaptive controls in ACR. Updates will be added to the first post in this thread. Stay tuned.
Steven Griffith | VisionColor
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Steven Griffith on October 16, 2013, 02:03:16 PM
We're working on a v2 of VisionLOG atm which preserves more highlight detail to bypass all flickering introduced by the image-adaptive controls in ACR. Updates will be added to the first post in this thread. Stay tuned.

Here is a discussion about this subject.
Preventing Color/Luma Shifting When Processing DNGs in Adobe Camera RAW
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.0

Also you will find some DNGs I uploaded with the flickering issue here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.msg78237#msg78237
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

arrinkiiii

Also from here, Canikon stuff. Later in the night i will upload one dng from 7D.

Thanks and looking forward for experiment the new 2.0

Steven Griffith

QuoteAlso you will find some DNGs I uploaded with the flickering issue here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.msg78237#msg78237
Just tested it with v2 of VisionLOG which preserves the sensors entire dynamic range (current version loses a fraction of a stop in the highlights). This should make any image-adaptive adjustments in ACR unnecessary and hence completely remedies flickering (even with the 2012 process). We can include a basic VisionLOG to Rec.709 LUT with the v.2 download for everyone who isn't comfortable with grading LOG footage.
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

bnvm

Looking forward to V2. Any tips on a work flow going from AE to Nuke. I brought the dng's into AE applied the visionLog and wrote out a 16 bit tif sequence and brought that into nuke. I then applied the LUT's from Osirus using the vectorfield node but the results are definitely not correct. Colors a washed out and there is a huge loss of contrast. I am sure there is something I am not doing right exporting from AE. Thanks.

Steven Griffith

VisionLOG v.2 is now available for download!

http://www.vision-color.com/visionlog

Key features:

• Adjusted gamma response curve to extract sensors entire dynamic range
  • Minor tone mapping enhancements
  • Included Nikon profiles (for timelapse etc).

Make sure to replace all versions of VisionLOG you have currently installed if you're upgrading from v.1!

www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

Kharak

Steven, can you tell me how much DR the 5DII has?
once you go raw you never go back

PressureFM

To quickly access ~Library on OS X, select finder and click on Go and hold down alt and ~Library will appear.

SteveScout

Steve, thanks a lot for your VisionLUT preset! I´m experimenting with all sorts of ACR settings to be able to fake an Alexa-like ProRes mode with ML raw. Tried if it truly eliminates all flickering (have some flicker tests shots that I run through all ACR "flat settings") - but unfortunately there´s still visible flicker left. It´s most probably that "Highlights" slider that still causes it, right?

But I tried it with the "2010 engine", and the flicker was gone - are there any other settings that we might need to change if we were to use the 2010 engine instead of the most recent one?

With what kind of LUT do you grade your footage "back" from LOG - I have not been sucessful yet with grading VisionLog material in AFX. The normal S-curves that inverse the log process seem not to work as well as the other LUTs I´d normally apply. Do you have any kind of advice for us on this?  Thanks a lot!!!

Steffen

Steven Griffith

QuoteSteven, can you tell me how much DR the 5DII has?
Around 12 stops.

QuoteWith what kind of LUT do you grade your footage "back" from LOG - I have not been sucessful yet with grading VisionLog material in AFX.
I'm not a colorist so I don't know. I wouldn't recommend converting back to Rec.709 with a preset though as it's completely against the point of shooting LOG or generating LOG from RAW in the first place.
Tried if it truly eliminates all flickering (have some flicker tests shots that I run through all ACR "flat settings") - but unfortunately there´s still visible flicker left. It´s most probably that "Highlights" slider that still causes it, right?
The profile doesn't eliminate flickering it only makes using image-adaptive tools (like the Highlights conrol) that cause flickering redundant. You won't be able to get any more information out of the image by adjusting any of the UI controls in ACR. Faking an "Alexa ProRes mode" is also rather pointless as the delinerarization and matrix decoding of LOG-C is optimized for the Alexa's sensor, not your Canon's.
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

arrinkiiii

Hi,

I have sent a email to [email protected]  with 2 dng's samples for see if i can open ACR with the right profile and use good the VisionsLOG. 

Thanks  :)

Steven Griffith

QuoteHi,
I have sent a email to [email protected]  with 2 dng's samples for see if i can open ACR with the right profile and use good the VisionsLOG.
Thanks  :)
The second DNG doesn't have any camera exif data embedded so there's nothing we can do to make VisionLOG compatible (embedding the data manually into each DNG is not an option). Try another Raw to DNG converter - I don't know which one works best but I'm sure others will be able to help you out there.
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

arrinkiiii

ok, thanks Steven  :)   ...and for the others dng's that say 5dii ?? 

guilhermemartins

I've Just used the latest Raw2Dng and it works on ACR...
Great profile BTW it helps quite a lot.
I have been using ML for all my production company`s jobs since the release of 2.3. most of them available at.
www.mariachisaudiovisual.com.br

Steven Griffith

Quoteok, thanks Steven  :)   ...and for the others dng's that say 5dii ?? 
This:
QuoteI've Just used the latest Raw2Dng and it works on ACR...
or just use the 5DII profile. The difference to the 7D profile is visually imperceptible.
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

hjfilmspeed

Ok so i took this profile used it in acr white balanced and sharpened in acr then exported to tiffs then i pulled up the tiff sequence in davinci and used osiris luts and it seemed way nicer and cleaner then just opening up the dngs in davinci and using the bmc profile. I still dont think resolve is debayering the dngs right. with resolve 10 beta 3 something is still off with the detail. acr is just way cleaner in my opinion.  but i love osiris luts! gahhh im sooo torn. I also liked the color better with you vision log profile vs resolves bmc profile. I know there is a vision log lut for davinci but we can use it as our starting point.... or can we. is there anyway to use your vision log profile instead of the bmc film profile as our starting point in resolve?

kgv5

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on October 23, 2013, 04:26:18 AM
Ok so i took this profile used it in acr white balanced and sharpened in acr then exported to tiffs then i pulled up the tiff sequence in davinci and used osiris luts and it seemed way nicer and cleaner then just opening up the dngs in davinci and using the bmc profile. I still dont think resolve is debayering the dngs right. with resolve 10 beta 3 something is still off with the detail. acr is just way cleaner in my opinion.  but i love osiris luts! gahhh im sooo torn. I also liked the color better with you vision log profile vs resolves bmc profile. I know there is a vision log lut for davinci but we can use it as our starting point.... or can we. is there anyway to use your vision log profile instead of the bmc film profile as our starting point in resolve?

I have the same thoughts. BMD film looks different than VisionLOG in ACR, more contrasty and saturated, after applying LUT obviously giving some other results. So is there visionLOG LUT for Davinci Resolve? Could you post a link, i cannot find it and have it only for ACR. Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

rockfallfilms

Quote from: kgv5 on October 23, 2013, 08:12:55 AM
I have the same thoughts. BMD film looks different than VisionLOG in ACR, more contrasty and saturated, after applying LUT obviously giving some other results. So is there visionLOG LUT for Davinci Resolve? Could you post a link, i cannot find it and have it only for ACR. Thanks

There is a VisionLOG Lut in this package, you could use that in Resolve.

http://vision-color.com/m31/

I also find ACR debayering a lot cleaner than Resolve, which is a shame as the Resolve workflow is quicker.

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: rockfallfilms on October 23, 2013, 10:18:33 AM
There is a VisionLOG Lut in this package, you could use that in Resolve.

http://vision-color.com/m31/

I also find ACR debayering a lot cleaner than Resolve, which is a shame as the Resolve workflow is quicker.
I have this lut but i cant use it as a starting point. Or at least i dont know how.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on October 23, 2013, 03:34:44 PM
I have this lut but i cant use it as a starting point. Or at least i dont know how.

Goto settings (gear icon)
Click on 'Lookup tables'
Under the '3D input LUT' dropdown, change this to VisionLOG

Now when you select BMDFilm in the raw clip settings it will change to VisionLOG instead of BMDFilm. You can then apply your LUT of choice to a node.

hjfilmspeed

dude

Maybe i am overworked at the moment...
if i apply visionlog in acr, do i tweak the image like i want it in the settings? isnt the idea of log that the picture comes out flat in acr, and i apply a lut?
when i do this, does the vision log only work with lut from you guys? i tried the hunters lut in ae, but this wrecked my picture up like crazy

hjfilmspeed

I think the idea of the log profile for acr is so you can adjust the WB then export to tiff sequence and grade elsewhere. or you can grade in LR too.