VisionLOG profile for ACR & Lightroom

Started by Steven Griffith, October 14, 2013, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Yea I was wondering the same... Should be soon if not already out?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

krapapock

Hello,

I can not download BMD Film to VisionLOG LUT from Vision-Color website because Media Fire remove the file for Violation :
The file you requested has been removed from MediaFire for a violation of our Terms of Service.

Can i work with Osiris on Resolve without this LUT ?
Or maybe you have an alternative download link ?

I've signaled this problem to Vision Color support ...

Thanks
Johann

EDIT : vision-color support is going to fix this issue soon ...

boodya

Hi I am trying to install VisionLOG as it is written in manual - just to copy folder to CameraProfiles but then when I open adobe lighroom or camera raw it is not displayed there. What I am doing wrong? Can anybody help me with this, please?

Andy600

@boodya - The path is probably wrong (Adobe change it sometimes). Do a search for .dcp files and put the cam profiles there ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

DeafEyeJedi

IMHO, Cinelog-C annihilates VisionLOG!

:P

theartofweb

So, how do you use the VisonLOG lut on Resolve? Do you use it as an input lut from BMD color space on DNG sequences or do you apply it as a 3D output lut to get a very flat high-dynamic-range look and then let Resolve output ProRes that can be sent to the editor.?

Also, when dealing with DNG sequences how do you set the "master settings" in "camera raw" on Resolve?

Mine are:

Decode quality: Use Project Settings (I see some set it to full res, why?)
Decode using: Clip
White bal: as shot
Color space and gamma: BMD Film
Highlight recovery

bimmer

To All,
I just upgraded my Lightroom 5 to Lightroom CC (6) and I lost VisionLog under Camera calibration profile. I reloaded the profile after LR upgrade, but still could not find the VisionLog profile. BTW, I also upgraded the CameraRaw from v 8.0 to v 9.0. I'm suspecting CameraRaw upgrade causing the problem. Anybody has the same experience? Can our friend at VisionColor fix this problem/provide a solution for me/us? I need the VisionLog profile badly for editing RAW video and any help over this matter is greatly appreciated!
Best

bimmer

Never mind, my mistake. I accidentally open file of 1Dx in LR CC, not
5D MKII. It works on 5D MK II raw files. All is good.
Thanks.

alejandro

Hi I'm new to ML and I've two questions:

1 - I own a copy of the Impulz Ultimate LUTs. Loaded the VisionLOG profile in photoshop to calibrate DNGs, and then tried to do some editing using the specific Impulz LUTs for VisionLOGRaw. The original footage was shot with the visioncolor picture style. I ain't getting nice results. Can someone explain me what I'm missing? And in any case, how can a camera profile disregard the picture style used for recording?

2 - I'm using adobe camera raw and is not allowing me to write my changes on the output dngs - everytime I choose dng as output method the resulting image has none of my alterations, so I'm forced to use tiffs instead which defeats the purpose of this complex raw workflow. Also the scaling within cameraraw and colorspace management is a bit odd. Any alternatives? Any help with this? (FYI, I do not own nor use Resolve)

Thanks!

N/A

Picture styles don't alter the raw signal in any way. Basically the only use for them in my experience is to assist in exposure and wb and being able to use the same picture style calibration in ACR for a similar look to what you previewed on the camera lcd while recording.
Visionlog is tricky, try using the natural picture style in ACR first to nail down your white balance and exposure, then switch over to Visionlog. Applying the lut in an adjustment layer and adjusting opacity and layer blending options helps as well.
I may be wrong, but using ACR through Bridge only allows you to save a sidecar xmp file for dng adjustments, allowing you to leave the original untouched and just exporting your edit. It's really designed for still photography, but importing a dng sequence through ACR into After Effects allows you to work around this.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

alejandro

Appreciated response. I got ML configured to give me the standard picture style in previewing, so I'm not even using it for the liveview. I already played around with ACR defaults to get a decent wb, my sole wish was to squeeze something good out of the VisionLOG presets Impuz has amongst its luts. So far I've been just dragging the dngs/tiffs from the ACR output, straight to my fcpx. I've close to none experience with digital raw material, neither for photography, so I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to the proper tools to nail this. I was under the impression ACR could actually -write- dngs, instead of filling up some script file somewhere that I'm supposed to make into parameters for my dng sequence in my editor god knows how. :-(

FYI, I decompiled the visionlog dcp for canon 6D and 60D, did a diff, realized there was no other change but the identifier itself, so created a copy with 70D as the identifier thereby enabling me to use visionlog with the 70D in ACR. Should anyone need that file, let me know.

vertigopix

@Steven Griffith

Any chance to get VisionLOG for EOS-M ?
Or any trick ?

NitromanX

@ alejandro - I'm in the same boat. :)

I find the best results are to apply the VisionLog profile in ACR (Camera Profile) to get a nice flat image, then output the 1920 x 1080 tiffs and make Image Sequence with Quicktime 7 Pro. Then i edit the output ProRes 422 HQ in FCP X. Bit long winded but worth the effort.

There are better ways with Resolve or After Effects but I don't use either.

Alternatively I'm looking in to just outputting ProRes 4444 .mov files with C-Log profile straight from MLRawViewer. I adjust the histogram in the preview (so it looks healthy) and then just Export.

Not sure it's the best way to approach this, but it's very fast and gives better quality than h.264. :D

alejandro

@ NitromanX

Your current pipeline is pretty much mine. The problem is that tiffs do not handle color as the dng does, and the scaling out of ACR its dubious, I mean, I see no way to specify the interpolation algorithm, nothing really.

MLRawViewer seems to be the best tool so far, great tool, though not exactly my cup of tea since I wanted a bit more control over the DNGs. Specially because I feel overall color management would be better.

How much would Resolve help here? Because for the MLRawViewer workflow to make sense, I feel I need  a powerful color grading solution. I know I'm being a bitch here but I too would like to know the best approach possible rather than just be a notch better than h.264
Ideas welcomed

NitromanX

Deaf Eye Jedi is pretty clued up ... I think he uses After Effects with the dngs. Unfortunatley I only have a trial copy of After Effects so it's not a permanent solution for me.

For me, there isn't a perfect solution yet ... although Resolve Lite is free and can also work. I just don't have time to get my head around another bit of software. :)

theartofweb

QuoteHow much would Resolve help here?

A lot. I would set Vision Log as a 3D input lut on Resolve and then color grade the DNGs. Also, transcoding into pr444 with a baked-in log curve is time consuming under MlRawViewer. Resolve is a piece of software defenitely worthwhile getting one's head around. I'd suggest using raw2cdng instead of MlRawViewer.

alejandro

@ theartofweb

I tried Resolve Lite. Complex, multi-user, immediate UI bugs on my retina display,  constantly asked me to accept incoming connections, and crashed on me with no recovery of the test project I setup. I'm not a pro and I do what I do alone, a collaborative pipeline is not necessary to me. I just need the tools to do my art right. I was actually thinking of purchasing color finale from vision color.
I'll try using the visionlog dcp there as a lut and see what happens.   raw2cdng over MLRawViewer? Why?
What I did notice is that video export from mlrawviewer looks noisy and not accurate.
I'd really like to find the less complex non-destructive workflow here. Thanks for all the advise so far!

rikvanderlaan

Hi,

I have a question about the VisionLOG in ACR, it's not showing up for me. Looking through this topic / the forums I'm not the only one that has this problem, the VisionLOG folder is in the correct place I think.. (/library/applicationsupport/adobe/cameraraw/cameraprofiles/visionlog)

And when I open up a .dng file in either photoshop or after effects I can't get VisionLOG to show up under camera profiles. I converted the .mlv with MLVFS, and the ACR window says it's shot with Canon EOS 7D (added a picture to show this), not the Canikon thingy..

Anybody know how I can fix this? Upgraded ACR to 9.1 already (was on 8.something), didn't seem to help

alejandro

To anyone interested,

This is my 70D VisionLOG profile:

http://www.filedropper.com/visionlog70d

Hope it helps!

th3jackal

Hi Alenjandro, I would really like to get this file from you for the 70d vision log, but the download link no longer works...can you reupload and send me link?  Would very much appreciate! 

th3jackal

Jadurca,
Thanks for the quick reply...but unfortunately that site doesn't have one for the Canon 70D, so when I pull up an image in adobe raw, it doesn't register....  As you said earlier, you were able to open the file and adjust the name so it could work with the 70d...but I can't figure out how to do this....can you send me the file you made or explain how you did this?

dfort

Quote from: vertigopix on May 04, 2015, 08:01:17 AM
@Steven Griffith

Any chance to get VisionLOG for EOS-M ?
Or any trick ?

I was looking into raw workflows for the EOS-M and was wondering the same thing. No EOS-M user has ever sent them a file to profile? Looks like Steven Griffith hasn't been checking the ML forum in a while. Best contact him directly:

Steven Griffith | VisionColor
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

vertigopix

DeafEyeJedi

Well for those who are curious Cinelog-C already has one for both 70D as well as EOS-M.

They work really well, tbh.