Question regarding ACR import to AE (is it 8 bit, 14 bit or 16 bit?)

Started by Kharak, October 14, 2013, 10:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharak

Hi, I tried searching for this question in the forums, but did not find anything. If there already is a thread, please refer me to it.

Question:

When importing DNG's directly in to After Effects, Adobe Camera RAW opens with the first frame only (no prob there).

But I'm wondering because, if I were to open Bridge and import DNG's in to After Effects. ACR gives me the possibility to choose between 8 bit and 16 bit, it's standard 8 bit. I choose 16 bit ofcourse, because I can't stand the thought of losing quality before even touching the DNG

So my question is, when I import DNG's directly in to After Effects and I don't get the possibility to choose between 8 bit and 16 bit, does ACR import it as 14 Bit or 8 bit or 16 bit?

Just to clarify, its ML 14 bit RAW DNG's I'm talking about.

Thank you.

once you go raw you never go back

dude

The best way to find out by yourself is, to import one frame via ae, and one via bridge in 16bit, then compare the size of the file...
life can be so easy...

dmilligan

Kharak

Quote from: dude on October 14, 2013, 11:48:33 AM
The best way to find out by yourself is, to import one frame via ae, and one via bridge in 16bit, then compare the size of the file...
life can be so easy...

Okey, so I imported a DNG sequence of 2.6 gig, some 860 frames in to after effects.

then I opened the same sequence in bridge, opened it in ACR and after synchronizing every frame I click Done and choose "place in after effects"... That will import the DNG sequence like direct import to AE, but.. You will have to click OK or Cancel for every single frame and you can't exit ACR. Had to ctrl+alt+delete.

So as I am a quality whore, I guess the best way to assure that AE is importing the DNG's in max quality, is to open bridge - select all DNG's - set to 16 bit - synchronize - Exit Bridge - Import the sequence in to AE via project manager.

And really don't think the file size will increase or decrease inside AE, depending on 8 bit or 16 bit as the files are what they are. What I was concerned about was how AE interprets the footage when imported via ACR.

Rewind

You can see the interpreted bitdepth here:

millions would be 8bpc
trillions, 16bpc
floating point, 32bpc

I don't know any plugin for AE to calculate the real bitdepth, but empiric experience shows, imported dngs are 16 bit (14 bit nested in 16 bit) indeed. You can compare things like banding in extreme grading in 8 bit and 16 bit files in say Photoshop to assure, as I did. But you just can believe that "trillions of color" — it means real 16 bit.

Kharak

Quote from: Rewind on October 15, 2013, 09:28:58 AM
You can see the interpreted bitdepth here:

millions would be 8bpc
trillions, 16bpc
floating point, 32bpc

I don't know any plugin for AE to calculate the real bitdepth, but empiric experience shows, imported dngs are 16 bit (14 bit nested in 16 bit) indeed. You can compare things like banding in extreme grading in 8 bit and 16 bit files in say Photoshop to assure, as I did. But you just can believe that "trillions of color" — it means real 16 bit.

Thank you very much my friend!

Indeed trillions must be 16 bit. Did not think of that :)

Slap a (Solved) on this.