[ALREADY DONE] 10X Digital Zoom?

Started by Tommy.Johansen., May 08, 2013, 09:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy.Johansen.

I know this looks a bit "troll" but hear me out.

I got a 5D Mk II,  so when i use live mode and manual focus i can zoom in 10X with the use of the +Zoom right.

so you know some times your out shooting and you forgot the tele, or it's just to fare away, is there a way to combinde this Zoom funktion and the screen shot funktion in ML 2.3 to get a 10X digital zoom thing going?
I shoot for press mostly so editing when out shoting is a no go, it's just to get it upload to server for editor, and he calls and have no clue where to look on big frame pic for what ever i'm shooting lol

so just ask if you guys dont understand what i mean :)

sorry i'm not English so if spelling is bad just go with it ;)

Best regards

Tommy

1%

You mean 10x crop/zoom mode for photos?

Doubtful... you can try to use 10X in LV and take a silent dng... will be slightly smaller. Older builds you could take a small .422 image of the buffer... I think it was 1024x680 or something like that. I think the DNG would work for professional work but the .422 would be too small.

Editor should be doing his job, imo.

Tommy.Johansen.

10x crop/zoom mode for photos, yes your spot on!

it's just some times things happend fast and you know in this line of work i'm always looking for thing to put me a head ;)
it's just a qestion, i love the work you have done so fare, and i have yet to explore it all :)

Keep up the good work !!

Best regards

Tommy

bond4ufriends

What about 10X zoom(16:9) and video recording ?
Sum what like in the on point and shoot !! I think It can be done ! :) best of luck guys (y) :)

600duser

10X digital zoom on canon 600d , While taking Still Photos,  is this possible  ? I am using Magic Lantern 2.3

I know you can use a 3x to 10x digital zoom for videos on the 600d but AFAIK (new user)  i cannot take stills using a 10x digital zoom on the canon 600d ( i can press a button and see a zoomed in picture in the live view but it doesn't take what i see)

I am being thick ? (ive spent many hours going through settings etc)  or is this

A not implemented yet on the 600d

B impossible on the 600d

Can some one please put me out of my misery, thanks in advance.

..and yes i know im bumping old thread, photographic newbs use words like digital zoom rather than cropfactor,mock factor whatever so im hoping (praying) that the answer is turn to page xxx

1%

sorry, the answer is its impossible. The photo is a full sensor capture already. You want "zoom" then blow it up in post. What you're seeing on the LV is basically the same thing.

600duser

thank you so kindly for your swift reply

Shoots Canon R&D team...10x digital zoom in video for the 600d  but not for stills ?, =  a+nother head implosion brought on by corporate oversight

For sale, 1 week old Canon 600d !

Im off to Argos to buy a Fuji HS50 as 10x or greater 'digital+optical' zoom is an essential feature for me. The most expensive and most modern camera i have ever bought still cannot beat old school pocket cams on basic features and real world usefulness. Go figure!.....i just cannot believe the 600d doesn't have a digital zoom for stills!, every other camera ive ever owned has.

Taking screen shots of zoomed video you can take a screen shot of your 'zoomed in' video but in low light  taking a still and blowing that up will prolly give you better quality. Just tested that on the 600d. However in good light conditions ( tested on other cameras)  digital zoom from video mode can sometimes be better quality than a still 'blown up'

A modern camera with a good sensor will give you around 4x digital zoom quality equivalent when blown up.  If a decent point n shoot camera's 'optical+digital zoom' exceeds that of a DSLRs 'optical zoom' by more than 4x then that point n shoot will often produce better pictures.

Canon DSLR T3i 600D Digital Cropped Video Zoom Test Review Footage
http://vimeo.com/21179340

Common sense dictates that every digital camera should have at least 2x digital zoom, and ideally 10x or infinite digital zoom. Its not just about grabbing that shot from a distance, its also about having a pair of binoculars and a bionic eye at your disposal. More than this, the better the sensor and in cam processing the bigger the digital zoom you can get away with before the image degrades to the extent its not even fit for the web. A camera like the 600d COULD take useful images with a 10x,50x or even a 100x digital zoom in the right conditions....thank you for denying me the obvious Canon !....off to FujiBridgeland i go once again !

1%

But you're already enlarging a section of the same image you get, just real time, you can't cheat optics. Its simpler to get shots off the LV for sure. I guess you could do 1:1 raw shots in 5x/10x or crop mode, thats the closest you get between still cr2 and the LV image.

Your digitally zoomed shots from the P&S could probably be zoomed the same way with software.. that is all they're doing on like a 200mhz cpu.

600duser

even a 4x digital zoom goes a long way with 12 megapixels P&S / Bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm6DyqSdjG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mDC2wrGzMA

and when 2x or 4x digital zoom  is combined with 10x or greater optical zoom you really have something

Such a shame the 600d isn't optimized for digital zoom like its baby brother the powershot SX HS 50 or the Fuji HS 50. Id love to see a DSLR 'optimized' to take advantage of this. The win is when you have access to see and capture that zoomed image at the touch of a button.

Cant over come glass limitations but you can process and image stack and get the photons lined up that way. The 600d has about 30x zoom (3xOpt x 10xDigi) with the 18 to 55 crappy kit lens but only in video mode  :-[. This means my much older and much cheaper Fuji 6500FD with its weedy 6megapixel sensor out performs the 600d when zoomed for stills taking as does my old Samsung Video recorder above 10x zoom.

Q do i really want to spend $1000+ on a canon tele lens when i can buy a super zoom camera & get  almost the same results & save $700

Its almost like the DSLR makers are scared to include quality digital zooms in case you don't bother buying their expensive lenses ?!?
So buyers are simply buying super zoom bridge compacts and P&S or Crapsui video cameras instead of tele lenses. Not everyone is working for the BBC making wildlife videos...big zoom = big fun + big utility even if the pixel quality wont win awards.

Id love to see Nikons 24 megapixel sensor munch down hard on a 10x digital zoom for stills. Canons 18 megapixel sensor is quite capable of munching too. Just need the right architecture and the will & customers will be happy.

Q how much is a 200x zoom IS/VR lens for a DSLR ? ....even if you could afford it could you even lift it lol

That touch of a button utility is sadly lacking in DSLR land and for no sane reason. Canons own bridge camera has 200x zoom 4x of which is digital and it has IS (image stabilization)

If i was designing cameras for Canon I would make damn sure there was 1 budget DSLR with a crapsui lightweight plastic  superzoom lens and 10x digital zoom built in. Plenty more people would walk past P&S / Camcorder land and pick up an interchangeable camera. Its perfectly possible to make a zoom or macro  lens for $40 bucks even if you gotta resort to plastic, Call it a fun lens whatever. New entrants would rather spend the dosh on a good body and a crapsu lens just to get going. In that particular respect even the kit lenses are overkill as they bump up the cost/entry point for new entrants. > Canon Execs, if you are reading this < google inferior good & opportunity cost < You can add another 10 million customers once you 'get it'

Slightly off topic, but the subject of zoom capability or lack of is highly relevant to the ML team. At least where there is and/or isnt potential for software to help out end users.

The future is all about removing barriers....the moment you step into DSLR land there are half a dozen barriers which simply have no valid right to still be in place.  ???   Zoom issues & Macro Issues two biggies on that list, as are video and sound issues.

Audionut

Take your still and zoom it 10x in an image editor.  It's the same thing.

1100D
75-300
image editor

There's your cheap DSLR with zoom lens and 10x digital zoom.  Want cheaper then that?  Buy a p&s!

600duser

Its not quite the same.

If a camera is 'optimized' for digital zoom there are numerous hardware and software tricks one can deploy to maximize the quality.

Faster sampling rates of the central sensor area, using the boundary of the image capture area for stabilization etc etc and generally throwing the full weight of processing power at a smaller data stream aka Munching down hard.  Over clocking and over sampling becomes possible too as your only pushing part of the sensor and supporting hardware chain.  Off the shelf silicon typically runs at clocks speeds 15% below their maximum potential. If you have access to those clocks then that extra potential can be tapped into.

As cameras get more sophisticated their will be a shift to more generalized architecture, be a lot easier to write software hacks when that happens.

Q is there a list of Canons that can do digital zoom for stills ?  Be nice to know whats out there.

painya

Photoshop CC has an upscaling feature that could easily be applied to your 10x cropped photos that would do much better than anything in camera could do.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

1%

So you're telling me that a raw 5x frame grab is worse than an 8bit jpeg with dzoom on ~200mhz CPU?

Audionut

Quote from: 600duser on October 13, 2013, 08:57:44 PM
Its not quite the same.

If anything it's not as good.  As 1% has mentioned twice in this thread, the cameras have a lowly 200mhz CPU, one that has a higher priority on power efficiency (then desktops etc) also.
Resizing algorithms that are capable of real time on a 200mhz ARM processor aren't new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling   <---  That's just the tip of the iceburg.  There is a lot of work on resizing algorithms