RCA monitoring on the 5D mk iii

Started by electronicwomble, October 12, 2013, 09:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electronicwomble

With Magic Lantern on the 550d it is possible to override the default behaviour of plugging in an RCA cable to the port on the side of the camera. By default, inserting an RCA cable switches off the LCD screen. By switching on the 'Use headphones' option, you can plug in an RCA cable without losing LiveView, so the audio output can be listened to with headphones. I haven't got access to my 550d at the moment, but does this mean that the video out down the RCA cable is also active at the same time as LiveView?

I'm trying to find a basic monitoring solution for using the 5D mk III while shooting ML raw video. What I'd like to be able to do is have the LiveView LCD on, but also send video out along an RCA cable. Obviously, with the mk iii audio options and headphone socket, there is no need to be able to use the RCA port for monitoring audio.

But is it possible to override the 5D mk iii default behaviour of switching off LiveView when an RCA cable is inserted?

1%

Yep... but I wonder what it will do with headphone monitoring on 2 jacks.

electronicwomble

Thanks for the reply :)

I just need to get a rough video feed for the director, but keep LiveView LCD for filming myself. I don't have the gear to rig up a proper EVF with passthrough to another monitor.

Plus I think I'm right in saying the RCA output causes less of a drop in write speed than HDMI when shooting raw?

Don't mind what happens to the RCA audio.

Is this an easy change to make?

1%

Its not super hard but I've never checked the video feed when you enable the canon screen. It may not be there.

electronicwomble

Is there a way I can check using the 5D? Otherwise I'll get my 550d back soon and check with that.

1%

Check with 550D since everything is working vs adding extra code to 5DIII that may or may not be useful.

derkiki

I checked on the 550d unified 2.3. Right now, when you switch to headphone monitor there is no video signal. Don't know if this can be changed. It would be an awesome feature.