What settings to get the highest quality compressed video on 5D3?

Started by ShootingStars, October 12, 2013, 07:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingStars

I know with ML I can get change the bitrate of h264, but how do I do it to achieve the highest quality h264?
My CF card speed is Lexar 1000x 32GB.

painya

Unfortunately there is no evidence that changing that bitrate has any effect on the final product. I believe a1ex as done testing on this. Of course you could always record in RAW. Also in my experience I haven't noticed any difference between IPB and ALL-1 compression when it comes to latitude in post.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: painya on October 14, 2013, 07:10:40 AM
Unfortunately there is no evidence that changing that bitrate has any effect on the final product.

It's quite the contrary.

This post may be of some help http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1565.0

painya

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on October 15, 2013, 08:28:39 AM
It's quite the contrary.

This post may be of some help http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1565.0
It seems to help, but why have they taken it off the most recent nightly builds? I swear one of the Dev's said that it wasn't helpful, but hey, I'm human.

painya

1%

It helps, the IPB is garbage without it. 20Mb/s vs 60+ mb/s... also profile 4.1 vs 5.1

on non iva cameras its a little more subtle (unless you max it and bypass the canon wrapper). compared to raw its lulz but I wouldn't want to be stuck with 20MB/s IPB, thats like a youtube video. 80 vs 100 vs 160 tho I think the difference kinda gets blurry.

QuoteIt seems to help, but why have they taken it off the most recent nightly builds

A1ex doesn't like my bitrate.c  and you can fuck things up if you don't understand encoding/H264.. on 5DIII you can write faster than the encoder can output.

ItsMeLenny

There is a bitrate control. But I don't think there is a P and I frame control. So I'm not sure how far that actually got.
I guess higher bit rate without altering the P and I frames may not help, but maybe, I do not know :P
But there is for sure some evidence that the h264 compression could be better, in terms of getting better image quality.

1%

You can fully control IPB and technically you can make some irregular ones like IBB, IPP but I never added it as a feature.

Mainly on iva cameras you need to get the QPs away from the 30s and down to the 10s/single digits. Also the higher "all-I" profile on IPB helps.