error 70 and missing an important shot

Started by Grifter, October 11, 2013, 09:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grifter

Was shooting a weding today with 5dmk3 and bride walks up isle.
I film this very important part then  leave this camera down ( didnt press stop) and get my other camera. When I go back to this camera it is in a frozen state.
I remove battery. Turn back on and continue shooting. 2 mins later when I get a chance I remove this sd card and replace and continue shooting.
Shooting h264 btw.
When I get a chance to look at contents of card that whole shot of her walking up isle is missing. The shot before it is filename 209 and the shot after it is 210. But no sign of this clip.
Is there anything or anyone in the world that can help?
Is it possible the footage is on the card?
Thanks in advance
A very stressed shooter

Marsu42

Quote from: Grifter on October 11, 2013, 09:11:11 PM
Was shooting a weding today with 5dmk3 and bride walks up isle.

You did try to run a file recovery software? But since there isn't even a gap in the filename your chances are next to none, plus it would have gotten overwritten anyway.

The next part isn't very helpful (I can vividly imagine that you're in a very bad spot right now), but still: I really hope it wasn't a commercial contract, or you should dig a deep hole and hide in it :-o... But no matter if this is solved or not this piece should go into the "should I use alpha-quality ml builds for production" faq, even if you don't use a ml *feature* ml is *still* running in the background unless you disabled it on start-up.

ML on neither 5d3 or - even less - 6d are stable, I know at least the 6d port is very likely to crash on you. You might get lucky for some time, but Murphy's Law predicts what you've just experienced ... ml nightly is not the new stable.

Grifter

Ive been shooting with 2 to cover myself. Typical that the groomsmen stood right in front of my second one.
Atmos ninja and no more ml for me. Except for fun, which never happens...  :-[

Marsu42

Quote from: Grifter on October 12, 2013, 07:43:25 PM
Atmos ninja and no more ml for me.

Or at least wait for a stable release, on 60d I've never had any crash for about the past 1.5 years and I wouldn't hesitate to use ml in critical situations with it. But if it's explicitly marked unstable it is ... well .. not stable, you know :-o

1%

Lol, 6D isn't crashing on me. Since the memory backend + wav fix hasn't crashed in a while.

for the 5DIII
1. camera crashed (probably memory? dunno which ver you used)
2. camera rebooted... deleted the .dat file of your video
3. camera recorded next clip with same filename

its gone :(

Grifter

yea, i know. I thought i had my ass covered with a second locked off camera (600d with stable 2.3 on it) pointing in the right direction which i always use.
Typical that a groomsman would stand right in front of that one. That only happens 1 in 20 times.
Anyway Ill be ok. The couple were nice and Ill give a bit of a discount. I have external audio and as i said one other bad angle. Ill
fill the time with the photographers photos on a slideshow type thing.

Can I ask is there any point in getting any data recovery experts to have a look at this?
I see there are 3 guys in spain who have developed a program to fix corrupt files.

Perhaps they could find any of the data on the card and index it? No?

1%

It wrote over the file when it made that next one, its gone gone like the NSA can't get it gone.

Grifter

Guys I asked this on another post but need an answer ASAP or I am screwed (again, what a week).
Got the atomos ninja today. Need to put the newest canon firmware on for clean hdmi.
Do I just update firmware even though the ML bootflag cannot be removed yet?
Im afraid to update firware without finding this out first.

NedB

@Grifter: With all due respect to 1% and Marsu42, it's not entirely clear to me that the data isn't still on the card. Just because the camera may have used the same name (209 or 210 or whatever) doesn't necessarily mean that it wrote the 209.dat to the exact same location on the card. It may have, it may not have. Of course, the more you used the card after this event, the lower the chances that the invisible (i.e. deleted but not erased) data hasn't been overwritten. If it's really important (and you more or less stopped using the card when you discovered the problem and haven't written to it since), try to clone the card (that is, make a copy, bit-for-bit, of the entire card) with some software (not sure what that might be as I haven't had this problem...yet) and then research the data recovery possibilities. If anyone disagrees, please chime in. Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

Grifter

The data recovery crowd i sent it to in Dublin say they couldnt find anything on it.
I just got that good news a few minutes ago.
If anyone thinks here thinks they can find some of the data Im open to discussing further.
I do intend to do a deep scan with 'aero quartet treasured' when I get the card back but Ive all but conceeded now at this stage.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on October 13, 2013, 08:55:17 PM
It wrote over the file when it made that next one, its gone gone like the NSA can't get it gone.

It's debatable if the NSA isn't able to recover overwritten data, that's why the high-sec deletion mechanism are there with multiple-pattern overwrites... but that's equipment and knowledge no one has access to.

Quote from: NedB on October 16, 2013, 07:04:21 PM
@Grifter: With all due respect to 1% and Marsu42, it's not entirely clear to me that the data isn't still on the card.

You're correct, it *might* have been the camera wrote 210, crashed and didn't close the file, than wrote another 210 again in another place if the card was large - I have no idea if a cf/sd card spreads writes randomly across the card or always takes the next free block, i.e. tends to overwrite.

The catch is that you'd need some software to scan for, recognize and extract the good data blocks (*if* they are there) and assemble it to a new file. There is software that does this kind of operation for usual file formats like MS office, but I really wouldn't know how video data blocks look like in difference to random trash data, and how to assemble them - the data recovery company obviously has/had the same problem.

1%

Quotethat's why the high-sec deletion mechanism are there with multiple-pattern overwrites..

Nah... nobody can prove that after 2 overwrites any useful data can be recovered, goes double for flash media... it probably sequentially writes to the SD, not randomly hence the data recovery people found nothing.

http://www.hostjury.com/blog/view/195/

Sdelor

From the canon.co.uk site, about 1.2.1 firmware:
"4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode. "
Can this be useful?

Grifter

Its possibly what happened.
I still have the card in the same condition and found a file called .ctg in the eosmisc folder. Its 2kb in size. Its dated and timed to the time it happened.
Could this help retrieve the missing data anyone?