RAW with flat picture style?

Started by enuff4life, October 11, 2013, 06:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enuff4life

I'm wondering how can I get the flat picture style with raw? since it is already RAW, I can't use the flat picture style?

Moreover, I have nightly build version of RAW. IF I don't use RAW mode, and just 1920x1080. How can I set up the flat style? Do I have to install different version?

thanks in advance

robert.roth001

Well the picture style is applied regardless, you just have to install the picture styles you want to use and then set them before you shoot. The only difference with raw is that the picture style is metadata (I'm not sure how much is actually saved though). The best way to get the "flat" look (e.g. the best starting point) is to bring the footage into resolve and change the color profile to BMD Film. If you aren't sure how to do that look it up on youtube, there are a TON of workflow videos that should help.

RenatoPhoto

It is RAW (nothing pre-cooked)  all adjustments done in Post processing.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

mrnv45

i use aperture, they have a RAW BOOST slider under RAW picture setings.. it gives it that FLAT almost shiney dull look that i like.

Midphase

If you use Resolve as a DI, you can set up your session using BMD Film as your color space which will give you, for all intents and purposes, the starting point of a flat or log type of look to your footage.

mrnv45

I can't use resolve cause my macbook don't support the gpu driver needed and its a 2011 i5..macbook and apple products are so limited its crap

reddeercity

If you are looking to get your raw video in to a flat or log like profile.
Here is a little tip that i learned,
If you have the Picture Style Technicolor CineStyle loaded, Take a Jpeg
Photo of what you are about to Video.
The Jpeg photo will be bake with the Picture Style .
Open up the jpeg in Photoshop & then load one dng, adjust the working space
So you can see both images, and adjust the dng to match the jpeg
Save you adjustment as a Camera Raw Setting (.xmp)
so when the ACR plugin loads the .xmp will be there.
So you can built different looks and save then without going into
Blackmagic resolve.
And with DNG support in PPro you should not have to
go out of the NLE. ;)

gary2013

Quote from: reddeercity on October 12, 2013, 12:25:22 AM
If you are looking to get your raw video in to a flat or log like profile.
Here is a little tip that i learned,
If you have the Picture Style Technicolor CineStyle loaded, Take a Jpeg
Photo of what you are about to Video.
The Jpeg photo will be bake with the Picture Style .
Open up the jpeg in Photoshop & then load one dng, adjust the working space
So you can see both images, and adjust the dng to match the jpeg
Save you adjustment as a Camera Raw Setting (.xmp)
so when the ACR plugin loads the .xmp will be there.
So you can built different looks and save then without going into
Blackmagic resolve.
And with DNG support in PPro you should not have to
go out of the NLE. ;)

Thank you for this tip.

Gary

mrnv45

Try aperture.  Addind ur dng and using the raw boost slider all the way down. It takes that harsh look away and u can just use the photo importer to import them in.  It gives it a genuine raw look without having to export and re import. U can do batch lifting of the presets and stamp them on all pictures.

jfjuk

I've been struggling with this for a while.  When I try to lift the blacks they turn out very noisy.  I've been importing into After Effects and using the Raw import settings there.

dmilligan

Blacks are noisy, that's to be expected. You can expose to the right, use noise reduction tools, or try dual ISO.

Also, why post in an almost year old thread that has little to do with this?

jfjuk

Because I'm trying to shoot raw video on my 5D3 with flat cine style....?

Africashot

There is also vision log and other similar options out there... grading raw to log to then grade it back to something normal looking like described above seems a lot of wasted time to me...
ML 5D2 & T3i

Danne

Visionlog in acr gets my vote. It is even for free.

Audionut

Well, you shoot raw without any picture style.  Ideally, you would expose correctly, to minimise noise.  And then, as dmilligan suggests, use other aids to reduce any remaining noise.

legi008

Use the "VisonLog Raw" profile from Vision Color in Post Prod. It's develop especlly for the raw video and it's free.
http://www.vision-color.com/visionlog/