Lock 180 and 90 Degree Shutter.

Started by hjfilmspeed, October 11, 2013, 06:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjfilmspeed

ha ha true!!! then maybe your eye is more trained then mine. Did you notice a difference in clips with motion? i have details but want people to vote to see if they can tell the difference. i feel like i can see a smoother blur with ML fine tuning but it might be in my head cuz i know what clips what. so im trying to see if anyone else sees it. if its even worth looking into. canon 1/50 seems a smidgen on then staccato side. again it could be in my head.

This is sick too. a1ex posted this. http://tessive.com/the-time-filter/

N/A

To me, the first two clips had the best motion blur, the third one just wasn't as smooth and natural looking.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

5D3shooter

hjfilmspeed

hmmm interesting uggg i want to post what they are but i feel i need more votes! ... I love ML and this forum! :)

N/A

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

hjfilmspeed

Ok heres what clip is what. I would agree that clip 2 has my fav motion but i wanted to see what everyone thought. It would be nice to have a shutter angle control so we could bounce around between frame rates and have accurate shutter angles at the same time (or as close too the degree as possible) I think thats how most cine cams work right? It would be wicked cool if the rate button arrow keys shortcuts could be set to frame rate for up and down arrows and shutter angle for left and right arrows. That would be crazy awesome but maybe a little far fetched. Again i dont program but i love testing ha ha

1 is canon 23.976 with 1/50 shutter,

2 is canon 29.970 with ML FPS over to 23.976 low light with a shutter fine tuning of +1.13 bringing shutter to 1/47.973 (slightly over)

3 is canon 29.970 with ML FPS over to 23.976 low light with a shutter fine tuning of +1.15 bringing shutter to 1/47.930 (slightly under)

I believe a true 180 degree shutter for 23.976 would be 1/47.952. Let me know if you see a difference or if there is one you like better for motion smoothness or if im waisting my time.

for more detail and ML screen shots see this vid https://vimeo.com/77295411

2blackbar

What would be great is if we could have sound if framerate is 25/23.976 or 29.970  and were using fps adjustment because i would like to reduce rolling shutter and still get the sound from camera, now if we do any adjustments to the fps then sound is disabled, even if fps is the same as actual canon fps, it wasnt like that when fps override was newly implemented feature and we had sound when recording in 23.976 with fps override to fix rolling shutter.

hjfilmspeed

I realize having sound in cam is nice when it comes to syncing or maybe run n gun. but i got real fond of the separate recording from a zoom. The canon audio really is that good. To bad there wasnt an easier way of syncing sound other then the clap or tc method

2blackbar

Long time ago there was option to disable or enable sound in fps adjustment menu but it was removed and automatically disabled which is not a good idea cause i need sound when im using 12fps to match with 24fps and display frame twice so its basically in synch with the sound anyway in final edit so im using version magic lantern 2.3 to get nice waveform and sound in fps adjustment menu, i dont get why features are being removed or changed like that but im happy with that 2.3 so its all good.

hjfilmspeed

I believe it was removed from the nightly due to complications while recording raw video. It wasnt functioning correctly.

Any way im thinking i wouldnt call this feature a shutter lock but i would call it a shutter angle override or a shutter angle control feature. It would keep the shutter speed at a selected angle depending on what fps your using. I dont think i can change the name of this topic but thats what i would change it to.

boogotti84

I like the second clip is the best looking deffo a difference. Second clip looks natural. Would be great if this was in ml. Would be a great help

hjfilmspeed

second clip is how i usually shoot. The tessive company is no longer selling there filter sadly. A1ex showed us this. if we got that to sync that would be our best bet. but i think shutter degree control (closest to the degree) is a useful tool for cinematography. Probably a pain to program though.

boogotti84

hey hjfilmspeed, im a ML noob, how would i setup close as possible 180degree shutter?
cheers,

hjfilmspeed

this is for 23.976 180 degree. Canon 29.970 fps with 1/60 canon shutter with ML FPS over to 23.976 low light with a shutter fine tuning of +1.13 bringing shutter to 1/47.973 (slightly over) is one way. Check out my screen shots at the end of the second video

Im time lapsing the stars  as we speek or id give you more combos.

I believe a true 180 degree shutter for 23.976 would be 1/47.952. But the closest i can come with any combos is 1/47.973. Let me know if this helps. Again i dont know if this is best for motion or not but every one keeps picking shot 2.

boogotti84

thanks hjfilmspeed,
yea kinda wish there was a one button preset to set this up easy and quick.
but i have saved out a config file to help. does this setting work if recording in h264? not raw video?

hjfilmspeed

yes. I usually shoot raw now a days but the test video i did in this thread was in h.264 for testing purposes. Im not sure what kind of effect this will have under different frequencies of lighting like TVs ect. I know with PAL its a totally different set up.

I also haven't experimented with config presets. Might be faster but I dont know how they work yet. i guess one could set up settings for different frame rates and just open the preset. Not sure how that would work though. Can you change config presets on the fly with out shutting down?