CF card reduced size...

Started by Rikoshet, October 11, 2013, 01:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikoshet

Hy guys, hope it's right section!
Have another problem:
Shoot some intervies with 5d2 an a lexar 8GB 600x card, put the CF to card reder to copy all
material, but at half of copiing Finder shows Err -36 and now CF show only 32MB!
Did not find yet an utility capable to restore original size, in this way maybe with some data
recovery program I'll recover some stuff...
Any idea? Tip?
Thanks!
5d mk3, 5d mk2, 7d, 550d, gh4

Jordy Vandeput

Quote from: Rikoshet on October 11, 2013, 01:12:23 AM
Hy guys, hope it's right section!
Have another problem:
Shoot some intervies with 5d2 an a lexar 8GB 600x card, put the CF to card reder to copy all
material, but at half of copiing Finder shows Err -36 and now CF show only 32MB!
Did not find yet an utility capable to restore original size, in this way maybe with some data
recovery program I'll recover some stuff...
Any idea? Tip?
Thanks!
I'm not a tech genius, but here is my thought.

Your transmission has been interrupted which caused some damage to your CF card. It probably damaged the partition, which only left a swap space (that 32MB) available. In order to fix that, you will have to re-format your CF card. If you have a macintosh, you can open Disk Utilities and from the left column you can see your card. You could first try a first aid fix from the options on the right. Or else you can re-format that (FAT32).

If you're on a Windows machine, I'm afraid you have to search for a third-party tool. Here's a quick search that I did: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/285986-45-format-corrupted-card
DSLR evangelist and Tuts+ instructor

Rikoshet

Thanks Jordy for your answer!
So:
First Aid-all buttons are grayed out
Erase options stops at half operation (half blu bar)
Partition option same thing, stops at half operation (half blu bar)

I think I need some low level partition/format utility, do you know any?

ted ramasola

try EaseUS Partition Master. Use the Free edition.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Rikoshet

It give me an error:

There are some error occurred while writing partition chains on disk.

Find nothing useful on google...

I know this kind of problem occur with usb stick, but I don't find a solution for CF card!

Rikoshet

Partition Table Doctor 3.5 DOS dont see CF.
GParted sugest to create a new partition table from Device/Create new part table But do nothing...
Help guys!!! :-\

Audionut

Try another card reader, else you might have a defective card.

Rikoshet

Another card reader will try tomorrow,not shure it'll help.... Defective card, shure it is, but I'm looking for solution
like in case of usb sticks!