Intervalometer Sets and Pauses for Astrophotography

Started by jeffadkins51, October 06, 2013, 05:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffadkins51

I'd like to request the ability to have a pause for x seconds after y many shots with the intervalometer. Here is why:

When taking sets of astrophotography photos after 4-5 long exposures your sensor starts heating up and introducing more noise into the shots. Almost every place on  the internet suggests that you take 4-5 shots and then wait 5-10 minutes for it to cool back down, then you take 4-5 more, rinse and repeat.

If we could get a function in the intervalometer to take a break for x many seconds after y many shots, I think it would be very helpful for all of us astrophotographers. Another note of interest is that every article I've ever read about this has suggested that you turn your camera completely off between the shots as it will help the sensor cool faster than if the camera remains on, since most of you folks know the ins and outs of these cameras more than I ever will, can you confirm that it would indeed cool down faster if turned off? If so can we work around that somehow?

Thank you for your consideration in this matter,
Jeff

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

SpcCb

Jeff, some days ago we had a conversation what you could find interesting about this question of long exposures / breaks for astro-photography:
-> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8546.msg79445#msg79445
'Hope it can help.

dmilligan

You can accomplish this with the adv_int.mo module which can ramp the interval time, but it would be a little complicated to setup. For example, for 300s subs you could do something like this:
keyframe @ time 1 with interval time=300s,
keyframe @ time 4 with interval time=300s,
keyframe @ time 5 with interval time=600s,
keyframe @ time 6 with interval time=300s,
keyframe @ time 10 with interval time=300s,
keyframe @ time 11 with interval time=600s,
etc.

This would give you 300s break every 5 frames

Perhaps I need a way to repeat a keyframe sequence that would make this a little easier. I think I'll add that.
I'm also planning to add a way to ramp the bulb timer with this module, but that's going to require some changes to the core.

jeffadkins51

Quote from: dmilligan on October 07, 2013, 03:17:59 PM
You can accomplish this with the adv_int.mo module which can ramp the interval time, but it would be a little complicated to setup. For example, for 300s subs you could do something like this:
keyframe @ time 5 with interval time=600s,
keyframe @ time 6 with interval time=300s,
keyframe @ time 10 with interval time=300s,
keyframe @ time 11 with interval time=600s,
etc.

This would give you 300s break every 5 frames

Perhaps I need a way to repeat a keyframe sequence that would make this a little easier. I think I'll add that.
I'm also planning to add a way to ramp the bulb timer with this module, but that's going to require some changes to the core.

Thanks for the help, I look forward to trying the new version too once you've added that :D

dmilligan

Looping has been added, so you can just do:
keyframe @ time 5 with interval time=600s

And set the 'Loop After' to 5