Experience with Komputerbay 128GB SDXC

Started by kazeone, October 04, 2013, 07:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazeone

has anyone have any experience with Komputerbay 128GB SDXC from what I can see they use either Samsung or Micron for the actual memory chip and reads and writes seem pretty decent and of all the card has the best listing price.

Jokemeister

I'm curious as to why people want to use 128GB cards at all. I use 2 x 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s and they each hold more than I can shoot even using battery grip with dual batteries. 128GB is a hell of a lot to lose on one card if things go wrong and you pay a lot more for the privilege of having one. 2 cards also gives a backup if one does go bad. Anyway, just asking?

Rewind

Quote from: Jokemeister on October 04, 2013, 10:55:06 AM
I'm curious as to why people want to use 128GB cards at all. I use 2 x 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s and they each hold more than I can shoot even using battery grip with dual batteries. 128GB is a hell of a lot to lose on one card if things go wrong and you pay a lot more for the privilege of having one. 2 cards also gives a backup if one does go bad. Anyway, just asking?

We are shooting RAW, man.

Jokemeister

Quote from: Rewind on October 04, 2013, 11:08:04 AM
We are shooting RAW, man.

So am I. My question still stands as that's not a significantly valid reason. That's just saying mine is bigger than yours. Obviously you can fit more on a 128GB card but for the reasons I stated, it doesn't seem justified or sensible. I'd like to hear from real experience why 32 or 64GB wasn't cutting the mustard for someone. If we have real reasons we can all make informed decisions.

Midphase

I think 64gb is the magic size, 32 and you probably run out of space far too quickly while 128 and you lose a great deal of data should something go horribly wrong.

Having said that, it's fairly easy to run out of space quickly even on a 64gb card, so for people who don't want to constantly change cards and keep track of what's on what, 128gb can be appealing.

Also, the price of the 64gb 1050X cards and the 128gb ones is identical, kinda weird actually but true.

painya

Also many people have had issues writing RAW files over 42 gb's if that matters at all to you in terms of getting one 128 or two 64. But I agree the 64 1050x would be the best way to go.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.