5D II Raw Video - Help needed!

Started by beauchampy, October 03, 2013, 06:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beauchampy

So I've been having a few issues getting raw recording on my 5D II working.

I had a Komputerbay 1000x card, I'm now using a Transcend 1000x card.

Basic menu settings:
- Camera menus set to S JPEG
- Small hacks on
- Card warm up 64mb
- 960 x 436 (yep! even on these low resolutions, less than 20mbs, read on..)

Basically I can record for about three seconds before live view locks up. Sometimes the camera will stop recording, sometimes it will literally freeze up completely until I pull the battery (camera flashes 'busy' when I hold down the shutter button).

Sometimes I get this white bar on the right of the screen (I'm guessing that indicates the buffer usage?) which starts on one block and immediately fills up (which in turn stops the recording).

At the moment I'm on the latest *stable* build with the latest 14bit RAW module from this forum. Earlier I was on the latest nightly build, same problem.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or help me trouble shoot this, I'd be really grateful. I'm starting to fear my 5D MII which I bought second hand recently is a lemon..

Thanks in advance.

ganzel

Some people had trouble with the Komputerbay 1000x cards and had to return them.  Their quality control is a bit questionable I've heard.  Also, are you using the 64gb or 32gb version? Again, people had trouble mostly with the 64gb version.  Also, can you give us the date of the build, some people might have the same problem with the same build...

I've been able to push my 5D2 to 1880x800 in 2.35:1 for more than 30 seconds with my sandisk Extreme 64gb 60mb/s.
If I remember right, I can even record at that resolution continuously with my lexar 1000x, but I would need to test it again just to be sure.

If every "normal" function on the camera is working, I doubt you have a lemon, I think it has more to do with your card, ML build or settings in ML.

Hope this helps!

beauchampy

I actually returned my Komputerbay card since I thought that might be the cause of the issue. I bought a Transcend 1000x instead.

At the moment I'm running
2013-08-30 af839274b1fa

I've also tried the latest
2013/09/26 ce9fb256205c

Tried running a benchmark (under liveview) and got the following results (I don't know why theres a big black square in the middle, it just appeared halfway through the test).

I actually formatted the card in camera after, ran the test again and saw I got slightly better results, however still the same problem and the camera completely locked up on me whilst trying to record raw.. *sigh*  :'(

beauchampy

Just ran a stability test, and in massive letters it says:

Err 02

There is a problem with external media. Replace external media.

I guess that means we're on to a lexar then....

ganzel

I have 2 Lexar 1000x 32gb, I've heard only good things about them and I've had a great experience working with them so far.
On certain websites, you get boxes of 2 for a good deal.  I don't know if it's against the rules to talk about a shop or a website so I won't mention where exactly.  google it!

Quote from: beauchampy on October 03, 2013, 09:30:52 PM

Err 02

jose_ugs

Quote from: beauchampy on October 03, 2013, 09:30:52 PM

Err 02

Oh come on... Transcend 1000x was my hope right there!!! These other cards cost a fortune :(((

beauchampy

Quote from: jose_ugs on October 03, 2013, 10:18:52 PM
Oh come on... Transcend 1000x was my hope right there!!! These other cards cost a fortune :(((

Dude I'm as bummed as you are..  :'(

reddeercity

Quote from: jose_ugs on October 03, 2013, 10:18:52 PM
Yes they are! but
I can confirm that Lexar are Very Stable,
I have a 64, 32 GB 1000x cards.
I just finish a dentist promo/testimonial .
Had no trouble with the 64 GB card recorded @ 1880x930 23.976p 71.0 MB/s (full 60GB)
the 32 GB card had a little problem, with the hdmi plug in to Ninja Recorder.
It would freeze the camera after i hit stop, error 70.
I just pop the battery out, reboot the camera and continue to record the next scene .
This happen 6 times.
But all file where there No corruption .

This was because i Had to have a Backup plus the DP Needed to see the Framing
as i recorded.
So i'm saying after i had some problems with the 32 GB card i
Never Lose any Data, not even one Frame. ;D

beauchampy

I just did some testing...

Yes thats a  Sandisk Extreme IV 45mb/s

Recorded at 1152x384 (Data rate of about 25mbs - I wanted something that would be well within the Sandisks limits).

5D II 2.1.2
ML 2.3
RAW - 30/08/13 - af839274b1fa

Test 1
Sandisk - Continuous recording OK
Transcend - Recorded about 3 seconds then stopped.

Test 2
Sandisk - Continuous recording OK
Transcend - Recorded about 2 seconds then locked up the camera. Had to remove the battery.

So if it can't even handle 25mbps... Don't see any hope of it handling any higher resolutions. Not this particular one anyway.

reddeercity

i have a Sandisk 60MB/s 32GB , it my last resort card if all
fails, and it records @ 1732x768 23.976p i think 50MB/s
I know its not the same as you card but just letting you know what a Sandisk 60MB/s can do
and i also have a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s - 1872x850 23.976p

beauchampy

Quote from: reddeercity on October 03, 2013, 11:34:38 PM
i have a Sandisk 60MB/s 32GB , it my last resort card if all
fails, and it records @ 1732x768 23.976p i think 50MB/s
I know its not the same as you card but just letting you know what a Sandisk 60MB/s can do
and i also have a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s - 1872x850 23.976p

Thanks, that's useful info!

Always been a big fan of sandisk. However the 32gb Lexar is only around £10 more than the Sandisk Extreme Pro, so I've just ordered myself one of the Lexar cards...

Will let you know how it goes!

reddeercity

Quote from: beauchampy on October 03, 2013, 11:47:33 PM
Thanks, that's useful info!

Always been a big fan of sandisk. However the 32gb Lexar is only around £10 more than the Sandisk Extreme Pro, so I've just ordered myself one of the Lexar cards...

Will let you know how it goes!
Glad to help !
You Made the Wise Choice there.