Raw video previewer and plugins for Mac/Window, FCP, Premiere, Avid, Scratch

Started by infinitebuzz, October 03, 2013, 05:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

infinitebuzz

Hi Forum

We recently added Magic Lantern RAW video support in two of our software products.  We are actively looking for testers and will happily provide temp licenses for any one who wants to try it.  The supported products are:

DrasticPreview
http://www.drastic.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:drasticpreview&catid=42&Itemid=79
DrasticPreview allows preview playback for Magic Lantern raw files, converted DNG files as well as a large number of other formats.  It is available for OS-X Intel and Windows 32/64.

MediaReactor Workstation
http://www.drastic.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58:mediareactorworkstation&catid=40&Itemid=80
MediaReactor Workstation is a series of plug ins for Adobe Premiere, Adobe MediaEncoder, Apple Final Cut Pro, Assimilate Scratch/Lab, Avid MediaComposer family and QuickTime.  It allows all these apps, and other apps that use QuickTime, to directly access Magic Lantern raw files at the highest possible quality.  A variety of debayer methods, Cuda and OpenCL acceleration and 16 bit half float support.  It is available for OS-X Intel, Windows 32 and Windows 64.

If anyone is interested in testing or just trying the Magic Lantern support, please download and install the software, generate a site code and request a temporary key from [email protected].  Both these products also run in trial mode with watermarks and length restrictions, it you don't want to bother with a trial.

Comments, criticism, and bug reports welcome!

Midphase

Very interesting. Is there a substantial performance hit when using .raw into Premiere?

Are you guys supporting .mlv files as well?

This is intriguing, I suppose I should just go ahead and download the trial and give it a go!

mrnv45

never got a download link.

so with the 2nd link you can live capture (while filming? )

[email protected]

infinitebuzz

Quote from: Midphase on October 03, 2013, 10:51:20 PM
Very interesting. Is there a substantial performance hit when using .raw into Premiere?

Are you guys supporting .mlv files as well?

This is intriguing, I suppose I should just go ahead and download the trial and give it a go!
Hi Midphase

With Premiere we are using OpenCL, so it is fairly fast and the 14 bit is debayered to 16 int for maximum quality.  It is not quite as fast as the Assimilate Scratch/Lab implementation, were we are using Cuda, but that requires an NVidia card of course.  We are actually looking for sample MLV files to add support for them.  If you have any you can share, please PM me.

infinitebuzz

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 03, 2013, 11:05:20 PM
never got a download link.

so with the 2nd link you can live capture (while filming? )

[email protected]
Hi MrNV45

Sorry you didn't get the link.  We have seen spam filters eating them on occasion.  I just emailed you the links, so if you don't see them shortly, check you spam folder.

Cheers, James

mrnv45

thanks, checked spam still nothing.

but i got your direct links thanks!

do i still generate and email the support being i can get emails from yall?

arrinkiiii

Good work! Already download and send email for the key.

Yes, it will be good if can read MLV... i think a lot of people no more use raw 1.0   (mlv= raw 2.0)

You still need MLV files?

infinitebuzz

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 04, 2013, 01:50:46 AM
thanks, checked spam still nothing.

but i got your direct links thanks!

do i still generate and email the support being i can get emails from yall?
No problem.  For testing, please generate a site code and email it to [email protected] and let them know you are testing the Magic Lantern support.  There is more info on how to license our software here:

http://license.drastictech.com

infinitebuzz

Quote from: arrinkiiii on October 04, 2013, 02:06:53 AM
Good work! Already download and send email for the key.

Yes, it will be good if can read MLV... i think a lot of people no more use raw 1.0   (mlv= raw 2.0)

You still need MLV files?
Hi Arrinkiii

Yes, absolutely.  We are looking for any raw (1.0) files that don't work, and any MLV files people are willing to share!  We can get dropbox, copy.com or I can give you an private ftp site.  Please PM me if you have files you can share.

Cheers, James

mrnv45

Should I be recording in .mlv?
I read it doesn't hold the same quality as .raw does? Am I missing something

arrinkiiii

Quote from: infinitebuzz on October 04, 2013, 02:46:10 AM
Hi Arrinkiii

Yes, absolutely.  We are looking for any raw (1.0) files that don't work, and any MLV files people are willing to share!  We can get dropbox, copy.com or I can give you an private ftp site.  Please PM me if you have files you can share.

Cheers, James

No problem, tomorrow (02h00 am) i will update MLV files in my dropbox. Two to 6 seconds are enough?

Good night and i pm you tomorrow  :)

mrnv45

mrnv45

just by running trial on the Previewer

reading FROM CARD:

plays for like 3 seconds then stops.  i have to fast forward and then rewind and it will play all way.

but after that it is hard to get it to play again.  dont know if thats in trial mode.

but other than that. FULL SCREEN looks great, and the playback is smooth.. very cool.. hopefully i can get the license and that fixes that freeze up

infinitebuzz

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 04, 2013, 04:12:48 AM
how long does the authorization code take usually?
Hi MrNV45

We are a small company, so keys are sent out 9~5 EST.  You'll have it tomorrow morning.

Cheers, James

infinitebuzz

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 04, 2013, 04:19:37 AM
just by running trial on the Previewer

reading FROM CARD:

plays for like 3 seconds then stops.  i have to fast forward and then rewind and it will play all way.

but after that it is hard to get it to play again.  dont know if thats in trial mode.

but other than that. FULL SCREEN looks great, and the playback is smooth.. very cool.. hopefully i can get the license and that fixes that freeze up
Thanks!  There is a 10 second limit and watermark when you don't have a key.  When you get the key, there will be no watermark or time limit.  I don't think it will change a stop at 3 seconds, but we will try checking some more cards.  Most of our tests are actually from hard drivers.

mrnv45

ok well ill wait for tomorrow. im excited to see this progression.

do yall have a donation or something to get this out and about. i love helping developers. i design graphics so if u need any U.I help let me know.

Midphase

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 04, 2013, 02:48:45 AM
Should I be recording in .mlv?
I read it doesn't hold the same quality as .raw does? Am I missing something

Just out of curiosity...where did you read that?

dude

That s great, viewing the clips before importig them!
How does the Premiere Plugin work? Which kind of debayering does it use?
Does it hold up with acr?

infinitebuzz

Quote from: Midphase on October 04, 2013, 10:16:39 AM
Just out of curiosity...where did you read that?
From the spec, the quality should be the same, but MLV will give you more information about the raw frames.

infinitebuzz

Quote from: dude on October 04, 2013, 12:41:46 PM
That s great, viewing the clips before importig them!
How does the Premiere Plugin work? Which kind of debayering does it use?
Does it hold up with acr?
The Premiere plug in is an import plug in, so it adds RAW to the import and then we debayer it on the fly.  ACR is a very good, but somewhat slow, debayer.  For Premiere, MediaComposer, FCP and QuickTime, we use a bilinear (opencl, cuda or cpu) bebayer.  For finishing products like Scratch, we have the bilinear and a Malvar/Lanczos debayer.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: infinitebuzz on October 04, 2013, 03:25:40 PM
From the spec, the quality should be the same, but MLV will give you more information about the raw frames.

Exactly, the quality is the same MLV just have more data embedded in the file... and also will be the future file/extension for ML

dude

Ok, but there were a lot of plugins for premiere, which did not work as good as acr, so that caused my question.