High Temps

Started by ChadMuffin, October 03, 2013, 04:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadMuffin

I was testing out the latest for 5D3 (Oct 2) with the bars facelift. Like the new design btw! Along with it it also displays your temp which I like. I wanted to test it out the temps out of curiosity and just played some exposure settings and then let it record for about one minute at 1080p and it jumped up to 60C which was red. So, I shut it off. Then, I went back in after a few minutes and it was sitting at 49C. I was just going through the menus and seeing if there were any updates. When I went back to the LiveView it was in the orange. I was wondering if this was typical and others have been experiencing this. Have I been running it too hot far too long? I looked at the Canon site and it said the operating temps were 0-40C. I would assume that would be the environment temps and not the camera itself. Thoughts? Am I just worrying too much? Is the color coding too low?

Audionut

Those operating temps from Canon are indeed the ambient temperatures.

The LCD is the biggest power hog and hence the largest contributor to heat.  Combine that with raw recording and it's easy to see how the temperature rises.
I don't have any technical documents at hand to determine the operating requirements of the hardware, but if you stay under 70C it should be fine.
The cameras have temperature cut offs as a safety feature.

ChadMuffin

Thanks for the info. And, the peace of mind!

Doyle4

Did not know the camera has a saftey shut off if too hot, thanks for that bit of info Audionut  :)

halbmoki

No need for fear... my 50D (and I assume all other cameras, too) has a warning when it gets too hot and will probably shut itself down before anything really bad can happen. I only saw the warning once during a very long timelapse recording in direct sunlight during summer. By then, the camera's back was not just warm to touch but almost painfully hot. If Canon thinks that everything below that is safe, who am I to argue? They probably tested this stuff for months to avoid potential lawsuits ;)

Internal temperatures can indeed be a lot higher than the recommended ambient temperature from the manual. Even my computer says "not safe over 50°C" (ambient temperature), but for the GPU that's the idle temperature. Both CPU and GPU regularly go well over 60°C with a warning popping up around 75°C, I believe.