Camera shut off before hitting stop, footage recoverable?

Started by asbissonnette, October 02, 2013, 11:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asbissonnette

Hey, so I shot some footage where the camera was attached to a car. I hit record, the car drove off and when it came back the camera was off. On the card I have a .raw file, .r00, .r01, .r02 and .r03 file. So I know something was definitely recorded. I dragged these clips into RawMagic and it says they aren't raw files.

1 of 2 things happened.

1. Before the car took off, I had some trouble with the camera reporting dropped frames. It was set to stop recording if dropped frames occurred. So it may have stopped recording and the auto-shutoff feature turned the camera off. Is there any reason the clips won't convert if there are dropped frames?

2. Is it true that the auto-shutoff feature can still shut the camera off while recording raw video? I didn't learn this until after the fact. I think this is what happened, the camera auto-shut off while recording.

If #2 is true, I assume the problem is that the last clip doesn't have the header (or footer?) data written to any of the clips so the program won't recognize it. If this is the culprit, is there a way to manually enter this data into the clip so that it can be recognized? Or any other solution to any other problem I may not have thought about yet?

1%

You'll have to manually create a header in the file. Everything up to the shutoff should be recoverable... the frames you had in memory when it turned off, maybe not.

a1ex

Quote from: asbissonnette on October 02, 2013, 11:40:14 PM
2. Is it true that the auto-shutoff feature can still shut the camera off while recording raw video? I didn't learn this until after the fact.

The help text from the menu tells you exactly this. Maybe it needs a bigger font?

deletedAcc.0021

Josh Lambeth

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 11:46:00 PM
You'll have to manually create a header in the file. Everything up to the shutoff should be recoverable... the frames you had in memory when it turned off, maybe not.

How is this done?

RenatoPhoto

Have a look at these threads under Post-processing Workflow:

Salvaging Pink Crazy DNGs
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8237.0

How to replace file footer, aka fix the Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5732.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

mrnv45

benchmark your card.

then once its done, turn it off, and turn it back on.

in your last menu option where it shows everything you changed you will be able to adjust the aspect ratio and crop. it will tell you when it is ok to shoot continuous. it will be green text and say CONTINUOUS OK or else it will be yellor and say XX amount of frames expected.

my lexar 400x can only shoot 2:35:1 crop with a 1440x560 frame.  i dont have drops and i miiiiight get 1 pink patch but thats cause my card isnt so speedy.

i shoot in .Raw not .mlv and i get cliip_01.raw files. i use RawMagic to convert to dng. then import those in lightroom > export those out as 16-bit .tiff...> then import into final cut.  if you have a slow computer i suggest Adobe 1998 .jpeg.  its good quality especially if your just doing web videos. when i drop my clips in i change my composition to 1080p - 1440xiforgot lol. and i shoot force frame at 24fps. so i choose 24fps on my composition settings.   i export in Current Settings but change the compression to 4444..... then i export my footage from quick time (im on a mac)  not using the WEB feature but just EXPORT. to h.264

thats my workflow and help cause i know searchin for help might not answer everything. sometimes tips and tricks is what you want.

canon 7d

reddeercity

Hello  :)
mrnv45  "i use RawMagic to convert to dng. then import those in lightroom > export those out as 16-bit .tiff...> then import into final cut."
There is no need to convert to 16bit tiff then import to fcp unless you are on fcp7
I import cdng's in to fcpx directly, and then use CrumplePop Plugin's
Tone Grade & Finisher which are basically OpenEXR tone mappers.

Or you can Built your own EXR tone mapper effect in Motion and publish it
for FCPX .
I did built my own but a like the CrumplePop Plugin's better.

mrnv45

the .dng files run a bit to slow on FCPx.

i have the complete crumple pop and Pixel Film studio packs.  i guess i could create proxy files and use proxy but importing about 9000 .dng files to make 9 minutes worth of clips took all day and took forever to compound clip.

reddeercity

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 03, 2013, 11:08:16 PM
the .dng files run a bit to slow on FCPx.

i have the complete crumple pop and Pixel Film studio packs.  i guess i could create proxy files and use proxy but importing about 9000 .dng files to make 9 minutes worth of clips took all day and took forever to compound clip.
yes it is slow, but i hear that the new fcpx 1.10 update may have support
for blackmagic cinema camera's for cdng raw's.
the other way to import cdng to fcpx is under the photo Tab,
if you have iPhoto, or Aperture, after you import there the indexing is done
and fcpx can use this to import, but i had problems with Aperture, i don't have iPhoto
to test.

mrnv45

the photo tab? hmm didnt know. im kinda new to final cut pro x.  i really switched over cause the multiview feature is super sick!! it cut alot of my editing in half

i will check it out where is it located just incase i dont find it.

here is a sample from my workflow.  im tryin to get better cause im new knowing about 24fps vs. 23.94 vs. aspect crops 2:35 vs. 16:9 etc... im learning the nitty gritty lol. so sometimes i get lost but im learning slowly.

reddeercity

The photo Tab is to the Right side of the Time line window.
Its the Little Camera Icon next to the Effect Tab.
To have better audio syncing, record at 23.976p,
and keep you events & project at 23.976p.
There a lot of good video tutorial out there for fcpx.
Remember fcpx colorspace is HD rec709 full range,
I have being using fcpx since it came out, so if you have any Problems
That you can't fix let me know , i will try to help :) 

mrnv45

whats the difference in importing the media file way vs. thru the aperture way? cause i have aperture

i see the options and some pics i have that i did along time ago.

reddeercity

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 04, 2013, 12:19:31 AM
whats the difference in importing the media file way vs. thru the aperture way? cause i have aperture

i see the options and some pics i have that i did along time ago.
export to fcp option ,  it for fcp not fcpx
Aperture needs to be updated for fcpx

Sorry i miss read your questions,
The different is Aperture indexes the file in to a library,
so FCPX dose not have to.
The 2 programs use the same indexing system.
Plus in Aperture the frame duration's for one frame is 1/24th second not 10 Second as in fcpx

mrnv45

WOW!

ok thanks ill look into that then!

so when you export do you export Master file? or do you export straight to youtube/vimeo?

cause idk if i see a difference in just uploading straight to youtube/vimeo vs. exporting Master File in ProRes 4444 and then exporting it from quicktime - .mov file for upload.  but some reason it uploads a bit smoother. not so choppy looking.  idk maybe its just some shots vs some shots lol.

this video stuff is no joke when you really get down to the best quality possible.

asbissonnette

Quote from: a1ex on October 02, 2013, 11:53:49 PM
The help text from the menu tells you exactly this. Maybe it needs a bigger font?

I don't think the version I was using at the time told me this. I learned this after installing the newest version.

asbissonnette

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 03, 2013, 09:46:31 PM
Have a look at these threads under Post-processing Workflow:

Salvaging Pink Crazy DNGs
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8237.0

How to replace file footer, aka fix the Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5732.0

This is what I was looking for, thank you RenatoPhoto! I'll report back with results!