Magic Lantern and 3D

Started by sicetime, October 02, 2013, 10:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sicetime

I know that it is tough to get nice 3d images from 5d's because they don't sync properly. Typically, one would gen lock cameras and be able to get 3d images from the synced cameras. Now my question, is would ML be able to somehow write something that would sync between 2 cameras? Does anyone know if raw syncs better for some reason, since it works more with fixed numbers and not variable?

I tried searching but could not find anything, and I am aware of the hypotheticals in this site (8k on 550d!?), but thought it was worth asking. Thanks again for all your continued efforts.

A little more on efforts to sync 5d's for 3d - http://3dfilmfactory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93:gen-lock-canon-5d-mark-ii-cameras-and-shoot-3d&catid=42:press#sthash.9gpASlMX.dpuf

ItsMeLenny

This question has now been asked 3 times already.
First by me, then by someone a month later, then by someone else who didn't check to see if it's been asked.
A fork of CHDK did it with canon point and shoot cameras.
And then another search just now reveals that it's been requested a 4th time but possible a first for 5dmIII.

painya

8k is over 30megapixels so we'll see about that :P but that would be great haha.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

heavygrafix

i am working on a hardware solution for this. building a 3d rig next months. u´ll see something in few weeks
5D Mark III, SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC, KB 1000x 64Gb, KB 1050x 128GB

painya

Quote from: heavygrafix on October 03, 2013, 10:11:56 PM
i am working on a hardware solution for this. building a 3d rig next months. u´ll see something in few weeks
Once you do you should start a thread. I'd love to see your 3d rig.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

heavygrafix

5D Mark III, SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC, KB 1000x 64Gb, KB 1050x 128GB

sicetime

I have since seen your post lenny, sorry for not just continuing. Was hoping we could generate some interest in to this. Have you found any way of doing this?

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: sicetime on October 07, 2013, 08:46:35 PM
I have since seen your post lenny, sorry for not just continuing. Was hoping we could generate some interest in to this. Have you found any way of doing this?

It's not the point of continuing my post, it's the point of not clogging up forums with repeated posts.

I've never looked into doing this, I just thought if it was as simple as the CHDK fork then it might be easy to implement.

The way people do it at the moment is by making a remote plug into two cameras and switching the video record button to the picture trigger.
Not a very accurate way of doing it.

Despite CHDK being open source, the guy who does the stereo fork rarely releases the source (illegal, but who's going to do anything), there are old source versions available http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm

Tom C. Hall

The way I suggested doing it would be via audio input as a sort of genlock pacekeeper that would record frames based on it's timing. I am not a programmer so I am still not sure about how to implement it. I've read there are plenty of ways to adjust the movie recording timing, but nothing about controlling when the frames are actually fired from the camera.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9069.0

S3Dcentre

We have had development of this feature over the past months over here at the S3Dcentre. Once we have been able to confirm this data as a reliable workflow, we will be publishing our results on the forum with the developers of ML and on our website for the stereoscopic cinema community.

get in touch with us, patryk.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: S3Dcentre on November 06, 2013, 11:56:01 PM
We have had development of this feature over the past months over here at the S3Dcentre. Once we have been able to confirm this data as a reliable workflow, we will be publishing our results on the forum with the developers of ML and on our website for the stereoscopic cinema community.

Are you saying you've had success syncing two cameras together via magic lantern? Ie, setting the settings in one camera and having the other camera read them, and also hitting record on one camera and having the other camera record near instantaneously in sync.

Tom C. Hall

Quote from: S3Dcentre on November 06, 2013, 11:56:01 PM

What method are you using for genlock? I was beginning to embark on my own side project but I'd definitely like to hear about what you guys have done.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Tom C. Hall on November 15, 2013, 11:56:00 PM
What method are you using for genlock? I was beginning to embark on my own side project but I'd definitely like to hear about what you guys have done.

I don't think they want to discuss their stuff out loud.

Tom C. Hall

I think they are writing some kind of paper on it. I'm waiting to hear more.

nothing

Did any details about this ever get released by the S3DCentre? As seen on this page http://wiki.ecuad.ca/index.php/Alonso_Benavete_Fortes it was said to be working: "originally one of the programmers from ML gave as a module that synced both camera shutter triggers through a pin cable, in order to begging recording for both cameras at the same time"

Does anybody have any more information about this?