Blue cast to photos

Started by lhow2000, October 02, 2013, 06:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lhow2000

I loaded ML last night and loe the fatures I see on the menu, only trouble is I have to learn how to use a lot of it and I will learn eventually, I hope. I shot my first few photos this morning and they all have a blue cast on them. Can anyone help with this problem? I am using Canon T3I
Thanks

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: lhow2000 on October 02, 2013, 06:47:11 PM
I loaded ML last night and loe the fatures I see on the menu, only trouble is I have to learn how to use a lot of it and I will learn eventually, I hope. I shot my first few photos this morning and they all have a blue cast on them. Can anyone help with this problem? I am using Canon T3I
Thanks

White Balance!

lhow2000

Thanks, I thought it might be that but when I try to turn it off I can't do it. As I togle through different setting it goes to lowest number but no off, or should I be turning it off. I am new at this so sorry for the stupid questions. My wife printed the manual today at work for me so hoping that helps.

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: lhow2000 on October 02, 2013, 07:01:45 PM
Thanks, I thought it might be that but when I try to turn it off I can't do it. As I togle through different setting it goes to lowest number but no off, or should I be turning it off. I am new at this so sorry for the stupid questions. My wife printed the manual today at work for me so hoping that helps.

I don't want to sound like an ass, but if you don't understand white balance you really shouldn't be using Magic Lantern.  ML opens up advanced features in your camera, you should already know the basics before messing with ML.

I suggest unistalling ML and master the Canon features first, then give ML a try.

lhow2000

I think you are right. I did not think it was that complicated for a almost amateur. Thanks for the good advice.

deletedAcc.0021

Audionut

ML can only adjust the WB in kelvin.

If you want to get back to an auto WB, you should use the Canon menu.

ItsMeLenny

What Audionut said.

But just to point out, you cannot turn off white balance.
You can set the RGB multipliers all to 1.0, but this will give you a green image, as there are the same amount of green pixels as there are red and blue combined.
It means less noise in the green. This is actually a good thing because eyes are more sensitive to green, and would also help with green screen.

If you set the RGB to 2.0, 1.0, 2.0, this is essentially "white balance turned off", however it causes images to look disgusting. Also, ML doesn't set the multipliers precisely so it will actually be 1.9, 1.0, 1.9 or something like that. Regardless you don't want it.

AutoWB is actually quite good, and should be used in most cases. If you don't want to use AutoWB, take a grey card with you and WB using ML for every photo you take.

painya

Also, you can not set it to AWB in the ML menu, so you have to do this in the Canon menu. Took me a little to figure out my self ::)
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

Audionut

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on October 03, 2013, 07:42:56 AM
AutoWB is actually quite good, and should be used in most cases. If you don't want to use AutoWB, take a grey card with you and WB using ML for every photo you take.

When shooting raw, I wouldn't suggest any other way (unless you have the time).  It's one less thing to think about on location, gives you a good representation (generally), and can be modified in post as needed.

Doyle4

Also if you dont know your camera yet, read the camera manual, understand your camera more and start to move onto ML :)

lhow2000

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Dslrookie sggested I remove ML and I agreed but now I am going to leave it and study hard and learn how to use it.
Thanks again, Leonard