Take a photo with the shutter closed

Started by KLDSRF, October 02, 2013, 05:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLDSRF

Is there a function or workaround to take a photo with the shutter closed, similar to what the camera does during long exposure noise reduction?

Francis

dmilligan

@KLDSRF,
ML doesn't know how to do this, it hasn't been reverse engineered.

@Francis,
"Put the lens cap on" does not answer the question, and I'm sure the OP is aware that he can do this. He asked if it's possible to take a photo with the shutter closed, in the scripts writing section, which means he probably wants a way to AUTOMATE this. I'd love to see you write a script that puts the lens cap on.

This would actually be quite useful for astrophotographers for automating the collection of dark calibration frames. Turning on long exposure noise reduction wastes to much time, b/c it takes a new calibration frame every time (thus halfing the amount of time you have to expose light frames). It's not really needed to take one everytime, just when the temperature changes or a new shutter/ISO is used. I'm guessing that's probably why the OP asked in the scripts writing section. If you could do this, then you could script the automatic taking of dark calibration frames only when necessary, maximizing the amount of time you have to take light frames.

1%

My secret hope is that this can be done for raw vid/pics.. ie with pause/resume LV.

a1ex

For video it can be done with ADTG (bias frames) and with quick AF (real dark frames).

The bias frame trick works on 5D3 1x, couldn't get it to work on 5x, and also couldn't get it to work on 5D2.

For photo, no idea (other than you should probably start reverse engineering at SBS state).

1%

Dont need it for photo so much... with dng/raw the noise/dead pixels and pattern noise really gets out of hand > iso ~800 on pretty much everything. Had no luck enabling or fixing defc.

KLDSRF

Can't really put a lens cap on when the camera is mounted onto a telescope :)

How about the mirror, if I cant take one with the shutter closed can I take one with the mirror down?

@a1ex,
What do you mean by reverse engineering at the SBS state?

@dmilligan,
You are right, I want to automate the process of taking lights, darks and biases all in one shot :)