what is the best cf card to get for the 50d to shoot raw etc.?

Started by kimo, October 01, 2013, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimo

Hi

Im new :) big respect to the developers and the comunity !

I just got a 50d and was wondering what is the best and largest cf card for this camera. also what is the best price to quality ratio for the 50d to shoot raw and use all ML features?

thanks in advance!

Marsu42

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

kimo

oops my bad :D , im just getting used to this forum.. thanks!

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Andy600 on October 01, 2013, 01:33:18 PM
Why start another topic about this?  ???
Because it is easier to ask then it is to read and search.  Typical issue with many newbies..
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Marsu42

Quote from: jose_ugs on October 01, 2013, 07:29:28 PM
Too bad Andrew(EOSHD) is not talking much about cards in this post... not at all...

He is talking about card speeds though, i.e. the max. 50d write speed - from there it's just one Google click to find out what current cf cards support which (sustained) write speeds if that's not too much hassle.

Mkolaj

I just got Komputerbay 32GB 1000x from ebay. It goes up to 79MB/s, giving me continuous full frame 16:9, crop 2:35 1920/2000. Perfect for the price.  ;D

kimo

Hi

maybe someone knows what is the best price:quality ratio for a CF reader for the 50d and mac computer etc.?

thanks,
K

SleeperNinja

Quote from: Mkolaj on October 02, 2013, 11:53:09 AM
I just got Komputerbay 32GB 1000x from ebay. It goes up to 79MB/s, giving me continuous full frame 16:9, crop 2:35 1920/2000. Perfect for the price.  ;D

I got the Lexar 1000x 32gb for $114 on eBay.

While I wouldn't bother justifying the extra cost in order to get another ~2MB/s over the KomputerBay, I would like to say it CONSISTENTLY runs 81MB/s, which is definitely worth the difference. The extra speed is gravy to me.

With the GlobalDraw off, I'll run crop 1920x1080 until the card runs out. No drops or pink frames.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: SleeperNinja on October 05, 2013, 05:01:40 AM
I got the Lexar 1000x 32gb for $114 on eBay.

While I wouldn't bother justifying the extra cost in order to get another ~2MB/s over the KomputerBay, I would like to say it CONSISTENTLY runs 81MB/s, which is definitely worth the difference. The extra speed is gravy to me.

With the GlobalDraw off, I'll run crop 1920x1080 until the card runs out. No drops or pink frames.

With 50d? With same camera and card, ml says 81mb/s is not enough for fullhd continuous, and infact i am able to record only 1900 frames. I disabled gd and all other ml and canon stuff and jpeg low resolution mode on canon setting and all ml hackering on, "small hacks" OFF, otherwise only few frames are recorded. I can reach 82 Mb/s with 2500 frames, and special CF preparation, but not at all CONTINUOUS. What are your magic settings? And what build you use? (I'm using the last nightly build at time of this writing). Many thanks!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

SleeperNinja

I'm using the "2mb more" build on page 144(?) of the official 40D/50D thread. GD is off, small hacks is on. Crop mode at 1920x1080. The camera actually runs with the expectation that it is going to get 1200 frames, but then pushes it back and back to around 5500, eventually saying continuous OK at 82.9 MB/s, so I apologize for that ;)

Movie tab, movie record off, raw video on.

FPS override set to 24000/1001.

GlobalDraw off, 1920x1080. 82.9 MB/s continuous on bottom.

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on October 05, 2013, 11:15:41 AM
With 50d? With same camera and card, ml says 81mb/s is not enough for fullhd continuous, and infact i am able to record only 1900 frames. I disabled gd and all other ml and canon stuff and jpeg low resolution mode on canon setting and all ml hackering on, "small hacks" OFF, otherwise only few frames are recorded. I can reach 82 Mb/s with 2500 frames, and special CF preparation, but not at all CONTINUOUS. What are your magic settings? And what build you use? (I'm using the last nightly build at time of this writing). Many thanks!

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: SleeperNinja on October 05, 2013, 05:05:10 PM
I'm using the "2mb more" build on page 144(?) of the official 40D/50D thread.

Great! Many thanks for this info! Can you give me the link? I cannot find this build. Many thanks again!!!!

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: SleeperNinja on October 05, 2013, 09:33:23 PM
https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.2013Sep28.go_faster.zip

Great! Many thanks again! I reached your same results, with max around 5500 frames = 3.5 minutes ! Many thanks to Andy600 !
Big achievement! We are so close to continuous! ml say "continuous ok" but it maxes to 5500 frames... so close !!!!  :P

EDIT: I tried to slow down to 23.7 fps, and it's really continuous: only 2 bars (one green and one blu) are displayed for some time, then something breaks and 5 green bars and 5 blue bars are constantly displayed for some time, then something breaks again... and so on, to the point where all the memory buffer is filled up. If we manage to understand what is "breaking" the writing process at constant intervals, we perhaps can try to solve it !  :P

Sniper

Quote from: SleeperNinja on October 05, 2013, 05:05:10 PMGlobalDraw off, 1920x1080. 82.9 MB/s continuous on bottom.

Okay.  But you get there by allowing frame skipping.  What happens if you disallow frame skipping?  I can't make it when I disallow frame skipping.  20 second clips are fine for most of what I do.  Just trying to get a realistic sense of what the equipment and code can do.

SleeperNinja

Quote from: Sniper on October 10, 2013, 10:04:41 PM
Okay.  But you get there by allowing frame skipping.  What happens if you disallow frame skipping?  I can't make it when I disallow frame skipping.  20 second clips are fine for most of what I do.  Just trying to get a realistic sense of what the equipment and code can do.
In my case, nothing. I set frame skipping in case the card never caught up, and I ran out of buffer. It was a personal preference.

I never ran out of buffer. There was a little wavering at the beginning of each file, then the card eventually caught up, which cleared or stabilized the buffer. No frames were skipped.

I turned on frame skipping back when I was using my T2i, because it let me continue recording, rather than just killing a shot and making me start over. Chances are, you'll actually gain a little memory back by turning it off. Maybe it'll switch to continuous faster on the 50D with all other settings the same. I'm going to try it, since I've found the rest to be consistent.

Good suggestion, even if it's really not. ;)

SleeperNinja

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on October 06, 2013, 12:31:22 AM
Great! Many thanks again! I reached your same results, with max around 5500 frames = 3.5 minutes ! Many thanks to Andy600 !
Big achievement! We are so close to continuous! ml say "continuous ok" but it maxes to 5500 frames... so close !!!!  :P

EDIT: I tried to slow down to 23.7 fps, and it's really continuous: only 2 bars (one green and one blu) are displayed for some time, then something breaks and 5 green bars and 5 blue bars are constantly displayed for some time, then something breaks again... and so on, to the point where all the memory buffer is filled up. If we manage to understand what is "breaking" the writing process at constant intervals, we perhaps can try to solve it !  :P
Seems like it's just slight inconsistencies in write speed due to the manufacturing process. I would expect even the tightest quality control to yield slight inconsistencies. Fortunately the buffer handles it very well. :)

SleeperNinja

Quote from: Sniper on October 10, 2013, 10:04:41 PM
FYI frame skipping has been off since you questioned this, and has made no difference. Buffer does its job until the card catches up.