High speed SD cards performance, with SD to CF adapter

Started by matute_mayolo, September 30, 2013, 01:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matute_mayolo

Hi!! Can an high speed SD card used in an SD to CF adapter, work at the SD card speed??

Maybe what I'm asking it's very dumb, most probably, but I couldn't find any data about that, so maybe it's because it doesn't work.. I don't know, so I have to ask.

High speed Compact Flash cards are very expensive.. nowadays I don't own a camera that uses CF cards, I own a 600D.. But I feel very very limited by the max write speeds when I want to record RAW video..
I have friends that own cameras with CF, but none of them has fast cards.. I have extreme pro SD cards, but I can't release their full potential >:(
And I can't find any seller that ships komputerbay to my country and the other options are pretty much expensive considering that I'm not gonna use it often, because today I don't own a camera with to do it.
Fast SD cards are cheaper, and I can use them with my camera. I've searched through the web, and couldn't find much. Some people said that the adapter writes at the SD speed. If that is true will be a great alternative to expensive CF.. even if they are a little bit slower, it could still be great.

I know by experience that adaptors usually aren't that reliable. But.. as a temporal solution, would be fine.

Has anyone tested them?

pd: sorry if my english isn't so good

mageye

OK I just tested an SD/SDHC CF Card Adaptor with an integral ultima pro SDHC class 10 UHS-I Card (upto 45MB/s) (I think that's read speed NOT write).

I just looked on a website explaining that SDHC UHS-I can be used but SDXC is not compatible with SDHC.

http://www.lexar.com/support/sd-uhs-i-faqs

It's not really looking good, because although the UHS-I standard should be higher speed the SDHC interfacing is the limit :(. The speed is bottlenecked I think  :-\.

I put the card in and it had trouble actually booting properly :(. If you were to get this working it is far from ideal and it's unlikely to be reliable :(. The speed will not be anywhere near optimal.

This was a very brief test but it was so dissapointing that I feel no need to do further tests.

Personally I wouldn't waste your time with this idea. I hope this helps. Sorry :(
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7