3K+ RAW video on Canon 5d Mark II

Started by EXIV, September 29, 2013, 10:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EXIV

Another RAW video test made with the Canon 5D Mark II. This time we have trying exporting each dng file to a 3760 × 1600 jpeg, from Lightroom. The result is simply amazing, the 3760 × 1600 jpeg files shows a universe of details that are totally absent on the original 1864 × 784 dng file. We suggest you to try this as it really works. The only issue: aliasing (more than moire) is extremely visible. We will make new tests on the Canon 5D Mark III, where we expect not to meet this problem anymore. 

The video has been shot on:
Canon 5D Mark II
Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 USD
CF Lexar Professional 1000x 32GB
Magic Lantern Alpha 1.

Special thanks to EXIV

Music: "Rescue Me" by DoKashiteru (feat. Kaer Trouz) http://ccmixter.org/files/DoKashiteru/21162 licensed under Creative Commons Attribution (3.0)

Rewind

Quotethe 3760 × 1600 jpeg files shows a universe of details that are totally absent on the original 1864 × 784 dng file.
Congrats, you just broke the laws of physics :D

painya

I will have to give this a try. You imported your DNG's directly into LR? I know a lot of people just go through camera RAW.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

dariSSight

Canon 5D Mark II

KMA_WWC

Please let us know the process you used in LR for upressing the footage. Thanks!
Canon 5D Mark III

painya

@KMA_WCC I'm guessing he sharpened, and on the output he used a custom size. That's what I did and it seemed to work.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

N/A

Just noticed that Youtube now supports 1440p, nice.

Video was put together well but the aliasing and moire were very noticeable. Are they still as bad upscaled to only 1080p?
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Africashot

I second that, while the amount of detail might be tempting (although it tents to look a little over-sharpened) it does by no means outweigh the additional aliasing caused, and luckily we are still a long way off actually needing this type of resolution, thus why bother? 
ML 5D2 & T3i