700D / T5i RAW video

Started by TheUnkn0wn, August 17, 2013, 12:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLDuncanBooks

Thanks for the reply, Walter.

I get that the t5i is limited by that bottleneck, but others seem to be getting much better results at 720, or just slightly below. (For instance, a few posts up.) The best I get is 5 seconds. Do you think that's the best I can get out of this camera?

Walter Schulz

720p@24 should be no problem.
There are two common errors causing stopping after such short time.
- You loaded and activated MLV_REC + RAW_REC at the same time
- Your cards are faked. Run card R/W benchmark from module tab in playback mode. Start benchmark and press play button immediately.

Turn global draw off.

EDIT: My experience with t4i shows ML RAW/MLV recording will do much better with cards formatted with ExFAT file system. You have to do it using a cardreader and be aware you will unable to use the cam's format option or you will wipe ExFAT. And you have to reinstall ML for each card after converting to ExFAT.
Only way to avoid this mess is to use a card with 64 GByte or up. Then cam will format the card with ExFAT, too.

SLDuncanBooks

Cheers for that.

I got the cards from Best Buy, so I'd be surprised if they were fake. Well, maybe a little surprised.

I'll try buying a big card with exFAT and see if that works.

In the meantime, I deactivated RAW 1.0 and not much changed, though I probably did load them at the same time. (But only one activated at a time.)

All other features (that I've tried) are working brilliantly.

Walter Schulz

You should do a benchmark test run for each card you own. Faked cards are widely spread.
And after you confirmed write rate is about 40 MByte/s you can go after the error in your configuration. 5 seconds record duration is way too short, even with FAT32.

SLDuncanBooks

Right. So I think I have a card problem.

Card 1, a PNY 16Gig Elite Performance 90MB/s performed the test and at its largest buffer wrote  at 18.5 MB/s.

Card 2, a SanDisk 16Gig Ultra PLUS 48MB/s performed the test and at its largest buffer wrote at 13.1 MB/s.

The thing is, I bought both separately and from a reputable big box dealer. Those are long odds for both cards being bunk, aren't they?

Walter Schulz

Have you been in playback mode?
Benchmark log is kept in BENCHx.PPM on the cards root. You can convert it to JPEG and upload it to a filehoster. Should look like this.

SLDuncanBooks

Not much changed. On the better card I'm getting 18.5 MB/s write and 42.3 read at the largest buffer in playback mode.

Walter Schulz

The PNY seems to be faked: http://www.xatakafoto.com/analisis-y-pruebas/tarjetas-sdhc-uhs-i-high-performance-y-elite-performance-de-pny-analisis
The SanDisk however seems to be within specifications. 48 MB/s is for read operation only. SanDisk doesn't give a number for write performance. The only thing you will find is something like "Write is lower". Which means the card has to do 10 MByte/s to meet "Class 10" specs.
Didn't find benchmarks for 16 GB type but for 32 GB. Because controller chip may be different one can't know for sure what the 16 GByte is able to do but the 32 GByte type has been tested to do about 12 MByte/s.
http://www.storagereview.com/sandisk_ultra_plus_sd_memory_card_review_32gb

distortx

I can confirm Canon 700D can rec RAW video to 16gb SanDisk Extreme 45mb/s card... continuosly 1536x594 24p... with lower resolution you can rec even 50fps... with this card my 700D at around 36-38 mb/s at bench...

ML - THE GREATESTS!!!!

ric.pce

I can't record more than about 150 frames of RAW video on my 700d. I just did a benchmark test and here's what I got:

Read speed (buffer=16384k): 42.1 MB/s
Write speed (buffer=16384k): 20.2 MB/s
Read speed (buffer=16384k): 43.3 MB/s
Write speed (buffer=15625k): 20.2 MB/s
Read speed (buffer=15625k): 43.4 MB/s
Write speed (buffer=4096k): 20.2 MB/s
Read speed (buffer=4096k): 41.9 MB/s
Write speed (buffer=3906k): 18.8 MB/s
Read speed (buffer=3906k): 41.3 MB/s
Write speed (buffer=2048k): 19.8 MB/s
Read speed (buffer=2048k): 40.0 MB/s
Write speed (buffer=1953k): 17.4 MB/s
Read speed (buffer=1953k): 38.5 MB/s
Write speed (buffer=128k): 11.5 MB/s
Read speed (buffer=128k): 17.7 MB/s

Does this mean I need a faster SD card?

I'm looking to shoot RAW video to improve my green screen scene quality. Do you have any other suggestions than shooting RAW? I'm looking to shoot videos that are about 5 min long.

Thanks for your help.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, essential information missing.
There is a file written to card's root. It will tell which benchmark mode you were using. There are 3:
Playback: Fastest
Photo: Second one
Movie: Slowest
Press Play button after starting benchmark for Playback mode. Turn Global draw off.

kihlbahkt

@ric.pce

QuoteI'm looking to shoot RAW video to improve my green screen scene quality. Do you have any other suggestions than shooting RAW?

Yes, shoot h.264. Light everything good. Light Subject and Screen with different sets of lights. The subject should not wear green or colors with green in them. Keep the subject away from the screen. Keep shadows off of the screen. Post...I use After Effects and Premiere for keying. If you dont use AE then these tips may not be useful. In post crank up the green. Effect: SelectiveColor. Set Colors dropdown to Green, set Cyan, Yellow and Black values to 100% Set magenta to -100%. The green should begin to "pop". You can duplicate the Selective Color Effect...CTRL+D. Now you have two Selective Color effects. The green should be very green. Move onto Keylight Effect. Eye dropper the green close to the subjects face or hair. Go into the color panel and pull the green down and to the left. You should see improvement with that action, more green being removed. Switch view to Screen Matte. Now you have to dig into the settings.Screen Gain...go easy, make small tweaks, you will probably increase this value by 10-20 points. Screen balance somewhere between 40 and 60.
Screen Matte settings. Clip Black and Clip white...make small changes to these settings. Generally you will want to shrink the matte 1-3. Go easy on softness and Despot Black and White settings. Clip rollback can be slightly increased. While you make these adjustments flip back and forth between Screen Matte view and Final Result view. You may have some green fringe  on the subject. Describing the removal of fringe is not easy. Precomposing, Mattes, secondary color correction, multiple layers are all in the mix possibly. To  finish I link the project back to PP and use mattes and secondary color correction to get the best look possible. Many of the tips I provided coincide with this tutorial from  8bitdigitaltv.

I don't use the matte method described at the end of this tut but it is a good workflow and might help you reach your goal of better final results with your green screen work.

Here I show original footage look and work in progress look of project I am working on.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-4Lg-sjsw0eVEJIWGNzQkQtYW8/view?usp=sharing

You can shoot h.264 and get great chromakey. You need  a workflow that works and I hope you find one that works for you.
Peace and Cheers,
Kihlbahkt
600D x2

kryzysord

@distortx

1536x594 24p - how to set that? In My 700D ML menu shows 1600x600 in 2.35:1 with 43mb/s write (if I remember, I don't have my 700D in my hand to check that).

Mehmet Kozal

Quote1536x594 24p - how to set that? In My 700D ML menu shows 1600x600

You can access to them resolutions by using the right\left arrow keys instead of pressing set\Q button.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

Vanx

Hello guys, by your tests, which is the maximum resolution at continuous 24 or 25fps in crop mode available? I always use black bars, so the crop mode would be the best way to shoot right? Thanks!

Edgley

Am quite confused about which of the many options I should be using to record RAW.
and that was before I found this thread!

Should I be using this build, the nightly build, or the 4k build I am currently using.
I also have the copy_rec and mlv_lite modules installed.

So far I am getting 10b L/L @ 1736x1160

Also using Switch to convert to ProRes.

Thanks
100D + 50mm 1.8 / Mac / Resolve

kye

Quote from: ric.pce on February 15, 2015, 05:23:47 PM
Does this mean I need a faster SD card?

I'm looking to shoot RAW video to improve my green screen scene quality. Do you have any other suggestions than shooting RAW? I'm looking to shoot videos that are about 5 min long.

Yes, you need a faster card.  You should be able to get at least 30+MB/s write speeds for ML RAW without the SD card hack.  IIRC I was able to record 1600x680 in 10-bit RAW continuously.

Quote from: Edgley on April 11, 2018, 02:30:50 PM
Am quite confused about which of the many options I should be using to record RAW.
and that was before I found this thread!

Should I be using this build, the nightly build, or the 4k build I am currently using.
I also have the copy_rec and mlv_lite modules installed.

So far I am getting 10b L/L @ 1736x1160

Also using Switch to convert to ProRes.

It sounds like you're doing things right.  There's not much info when starting out with ML unfortunately.

kye

Does anyone know how to enable resolutions above 1792 in crop mode for 700D?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: found it on p55 of the crop_rec thread!

Summary for 700D:

• Turn on camera and go into movie mode
  • Press the zoom in button (looks like a magnifying glass with a plus sign - on the top-right of the rear panel) - it will show "X1" on the right-hand-side of the screen
  • Press it again - it will show a B&W zoomed in preview with "X5" instead of "X1"
  • Now press the trash button to get into ML menu and now the resolutions above 1792 are available

If you're also using the sd_uhs hack then run that before you go into the zoomed preview mode.  You can run it in there but it seems to take ages for some reason.

The "X5" mode will give a slow B&W preview while recording.  If you hit the zoom in button a third time then you get a fast colour x10 zoom preview and also while recording, which might be good for checking focus while recording?  Anyway, it's worth noting.

Walter Schulz

Press loupe/magnify button once, then enter raw/mlv settings.