Aspect Ratio Setting in ML

Started by Gwydien, September 27, 2013, 02:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwydien

Hi everyone.  I have been going through the instructions on this post (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5472.0) to hopefully shoot something equivalent or close to 1080p at 60fps for slow motion in post.  I made it to step 16 and their i got stuck.  I cannot find an aspect ratio setting anywhere.  Its likely that i am just missing something obvious or that i am miss interpreting the instructions somehow.  Can someone please help? 

RenatoPhoto

The manual is a bit out of date since the module loading sequence changed a bit. 
But it appears that you do not have the raw_rec module loaded and therefore you do not have RAW.

I will be updating the basic operation sequence of the manuals to accurately show the steps as follows:

1. Make sure you have CF card selected.
2. Switch your camera to video mode (flip the video lever), focus your subject and adjust for the scene .  Works in M, AV, TV modes.
3. Select the 60 fps  video specification from Canon Menu by pressing Q button.
4. Use the Joy stick to move and make "blue" the video mode.
5. Scroll through the videos to 1280 60fps.
6. Press half shutter to return to Live View.
  If you have not loaded the raw_rec module then:
7. Press trash button and go to Modules Tab using your joystick or scroll wheel.   (It is an icon with four little squares)
8. Use the scroll wheel or joystick to highlight the raw_rec moude and then press the set button to selected.
9. Reboot the camera, then press trash button and if the module loaded correctly you will see it in bright white with a green dot on the left.
10. Scroll to Movie Tab with the small scroll wheel or joystick and then scroll to Raw video with the large scroll wheel or joystick.  The Raw Video should be OFF.
11. Enable RAW video by pressing the Set Button.  Look at the video settings and also look near the bottom of the screen for information about CF speed requirements to meet current fps and frame size.
12. Press Q and Set to chose the appropriate Resolution, or use the little scroll wheel to scroll from available options.  If your card is not fast enough then select acceptable resolutions.  Remember to look at the bottom of the screen to see how resolution affect card speed requirements.
13. Scroll to Aspect ratio 16:9 is the default.  You can scroll with the little wheel or press Set to change it.  By changing the aspect ratio the camera chooses an appropriate video height.  Some heights are not the most common ones but these combinations offer better writing speeds.  You may have to crop your video in post.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Gwydien

Yes i did have the raw_rec module loaded, i have it set to automatically load every time.  Ive been recording raw for a while now.  But again, the instructions say to "scroll to aspect ratio"; i do not see anything about aspect ratios anywhere.  What am i still missing?  I do notice that the post i refered to said to do this with 5d3 AND OTHERS.  Are these steps completely applicable to the 5d mark 3?

Thanks Renato,

Jon

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Gwydien on September 28, 2013, 01:24:35 AM
Yes i did have the raw_rec module loaded, i have it set to automatically load every time.  Ive been recording raw for a while now.  But again, the instructions say to "scroll to aspect ratio"; i do not see anything about aspect ratios anywhere.  What am i still missing?  I do notice that the post i refered to said to do this with 5d3 AND OTHERS.  Are these steps completely applicable to the 5d mark 3?

Thanks Renato,

Jon
You are using an older version where you could select the height and width for the frame.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X