5D mark III shutter speed issue with photos

Started by gybra, September 27, 2013, 01:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gybra

After installing magic lantern on my 5D Mark 3 I have noticed a slight decrease in shutter speed FPS rate. If I had to guess probably between four and five frames per second not the standard six frames per second. I took it into the local camera store and compared it with a standard 5D Mark 3 on display and both the camera store supervisor and I concluded that my Mark 3 is shooting slower.

Has anyone else experienced this similar phenomenon? And if so have they been able to fix it?

The store-owners recommended that I sent it into Canon and the cameras only 2 1/2 months old and said that there still is a warranty however, because I installed magic lantern it is probably not covered under warranty anymore so I'm turning to the experts and hope that one of you would be able to help me out with this problem. Thank you so much for your time :-)

I am using the August 22nd build If anyone knows a more stable version and can provide a link please let me know! 

RenatoPhoto

I tested my camera in M mode and Tv mode.
In Tv mode:
I opened the photos in Photoshop and read the xmp information from the xmp files created after the photos are closed
First photo CreateDate="2013-09-26T19:33:31.29"
Last photo CreateDate="2013-09-26T19:33:33.76"
Time difference 31.29 sec -33.76 sec = 2.47 sec
Number of photos taken 15
15/2.47= 6.0728 photos per second.

In M mode 23/3.79 = 6.07 photos per second

If your camera is shooting 4 fps then you have a dud.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

gybra

So I did what was described and came up with 4.80 frames a second. Obviously that is slow. Now the question is, is magic lantern the problem or is the camera? and would cannon be able to fix it under warranty?

Iv read up on how the magic lantern works and this drop in frame rate doesn't make sense because ML shouldn't be affecting it

RenatoPhoto

They are created by photoshop when you open the image form ACR
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

gybra

sorry i modified my old post but heres what the new one says:

So I did what was described and came up with 4.80 frames a second. Obviously that is slow. Now the question is, is magic lantern the problem or is the camera? and would cannon be able to fix it under warranty?

Iv read up on how magic lantern works and this drop in frame rate doesn't make sense because ML shouldn't be affecting it

Midphase

gybra

Wonderful! thankyou for the article. Iv done more testing and with a fully charged battery the camera is shooting at 6.033 fps on M mode. So i guess when the battery is dying like around 32% is when the fps decreases. Does this happen with anyone else? Is it a dud?