Quick changing of ML settings

Started by akumiszcza, September 26, 2013, 02:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akumiszcza

As I'm a hobbyist bird photographer (http://bit.ly/akumiszcza), I sometimes need to change to other subjects for a quick shots. While photographing something using AutoETTR/DualISO etc. this is pretty hard. Even if I change from M to Av mode, for instance, AutoETTR and DualISO still works producing most probably badly exposed photos (at least first series). Turning them off in ML takes precious seconds. What I would really love is one of the following:
1. Use the current option to swap between two different M settings by pressing SET or INFO (Expo Presets). Just adding ML options to it would suffice. One could quickly change from AutoETTR+DualISO to AutoExpose in M mode by pressing one button.
2. All ML options linked to current mode. There would be other options in M mode, other in Av and even Custom modes. One could just switch to Av to make a quick shot and come back to M mode for more "static" AutoETTR+DualISO. Besided, this would be great for videos, too. One could set all relevant Canon options (Jpeg instead of Raw, no auto-off) and video options to one of Custom modes. This could also mean some keys (like SET) could have different actions in different modes – for instance turning video recording in C1, but setting up AETTR in other modes.
3. If above is impossible then maybe: ability to link some options to given mode. For instance, an option in AutoETTR and DualISO to work only in M mode.

Marsu42

Linking general ml configs to shooting modes won't happen w/o a reboot according to alex - but linking *some* features to them certainly is possible and has been requested before.

I'm currently working on a module that "remembers" settings like drive mode, metering, ... between modes, and I could also extend this for example to remember if ettr, dual_iso, auto_iso, ... were enabled in this specific mode. But there has to be an "opt in" list.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: akumiszcza on September 26, 2013, 02:20:44 PM
3. If above is impossible then maybe: ability to link some options to given mode. For instance, an option in AutoETTR and DualISO to work only in M mode.
+10000

If Alex could detect that you switched from M to any other mode then disable the ETTR and DUAL ISO.  I have been struggling with this problem too!
When switch back then enable what the previous setting was.  This would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
I am a bird guide and do photos and videos of birds too!  ;D
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

akumiszcza

Quote from: Marsu42 on September 26, 2013, 03:04:36 PM
I'm currently working on a module that "remembers" settings like drive mode, metering, ... between modes, and I could also extend this for example to remember if ettr, dual_iso, auto_iso, ... were enabled in this specific mode. But there has to be an "opt in" list.

It would be great. "Opt in" list – you mean some voting or what?

Marsu42

Quote from: akumiszcza on September 27, 2013, 12:58:50 PM
It would be great. "Opt in" list – you mean some voting or what?

Wupps, I'm a non-native speaker - I guess the correct term is "whitelist" as I have to explicitly specify what settings to remember rather than just all. You can vote on what to include, but I have the majority vote :-p ... unless you do it yourself, it's oss after all. And it will take time to implement, I'm quite busy even w/o ml coding atm.